Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Getting Started with RepRap" by Josef Prusa due Jan012

Posted by garyhodgson 
"Getting Started with RepRap" by Josef Prusa due Jan012
December 01, 2011 05:10AM
Maybe i'm behind the curve here but I didn't realise Josef was due to publish a book via Oreilly: "Getting Started with RepRap"

I didn't see a reference to it on the forum so I thought i'd share.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
Re: "Getting Started with RepRap" by Josef Prusa due Jan012
December 02, 2011 03:46AM
I give him credit for simplifying an existing design. Not sure I would call him a core developer though. I see he has pulled the original design files from his github thus breaking links on the wiki. Seems like he's taken the ball and ran with it...
December 02, 2011 05:07AM
Hmm, I can't see him doing that, which links are broken? His files are still on github here aren't they? He recently released v2 of his design so maybe that broke some links.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
December 02, 2011 02:16PM
jkomp316 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I give him credit for simplifying an existing
> design. Not sure I would call him a core
> developer though. I see he has pulled the
> original design files from his github thus
> breaking links on the wiki. Seems like he's taken
> the ball and ran with it...

I disagree. I think he does qualify as a core developer considering that even Adrian Bowyer, the inventor of Reprap, is now using his design as shown in this reprap wiki. And as Gary pointed out, iteration 2 of the Prusa is in Github.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 02:18PM by brnrd.
December 02, 2011 10:51PM
The chassis is but one component of the device.
December 03, 2011 12:14AM
jkomp316 Wrote:
> The chassis is but one component of the device.

... but a pretty important one - let's give the guy his due credit!

His work in simplifying and reducing the cost of the Mendel has been an important factor in the explosive rise of RepRap in 2011. I'd be prepared to bet there are probabaly more Prusas (and derivatives) out there than any other model of crowd-sourced self-built RepRap. (Maybe more than ALL the other crowd-sourced self-built RepRaps put together?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 12:15AM by julianh72.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
December 03, 2011 02:15AM
jkomp316 Wrote:
> The chassis is but one component of the device.

Do you consider the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis to be the chassis? That's actually what he changed the most.
December 03, 2011 05:13AM
I don't mean distract credit from the guy. He did a remarkable job on simplifying the mendel. I have one sitting on my desk as I type this.

That said;

There's lots of other hard work that went into the software/firmware/electronics/hot end/extruder ect. Coining the entire device after his last name seems a bit misleading. Especially for newcomers who aren't fully delved into the projects history. They see the device as a single entity, when in reality its a collaboration of many entities working together.
December 03, 2011 10:04AM
Hmmm ...

Then maybe we shouldn't refer to "Newton's" Theory of Gravity, or "Darwin's" Theory of Evolution?

On the shouders of giants and all that ...

I'm perfectly happy to acknowledge that I have built a "Prusa Mendel"!

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
December 03, 2011 12:10PM
I think Josef is the perfect guy to write a reprap for beginners book, and I wish him well. I don't see the problem with someone putting their own name on their own design.

I can't imagine many newbs getting the wrong idea about the design considering that the wiki page is pretty clear that the Prusa Mendel is a simplification of the Sells mendel structure and axes. And once they are done building a Prusa Mendel they will have had to visit 314,159 different pages to get it running, none of which have the Prusa name on them.

I could see a problem if there were "Prusa" electronics and "Prusa" hot ends floating around, but the Prusa files include a Wade's extruder. (At least last time I checked) . The name's not going to change anyway, so why gripe about it?

Oh and BTW he is a core developer whether you consider him one or not.

[reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login