Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

question on prusa electronics

Posted by shinjinian 
question on prusa electronics
February 01, 2012 08:55PM
I'm considering either the Gen6 electronics or the sanguinololu. The gen6 can be had for $130 with shipping but doesn't support a heated bed and the sanguinololu has the ability to add SD card reader and is only $20 more. Which should I go for and does the sanguinololu support a heated bed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2012 12:21PM by shinjinian.
Re: question on prusa electronics
February 03, 2012 01:51AM
Yes, the sanguinololu has the second thermistor input and FET to control a bed heater.

I can't comment on the Gen6, but I assembled my sanguinololu from the bare PCB and kit of parts (including soldering the surface mount FTDI chip) and it ran first time. I've had zero electronics problems.
February 03, 2012 07:38AM
Just one note - the sanguinololu has no protection from overcurrent / short-circuit, the RAMPS electronics have Polyfuses and V1.3/1.4 has two fuses one for hot-ends and the other dedicated for the heat-bed.

When I use sanguinololu I add an external Polyfuse for the heatbed.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
February 03, 2012 05:28PM
Unfortunately ramps is far out of my budget at the moment so I'll probably go for sanguinololu or a Gen7 board that I might get cheap
February 04, 2012 09:13PM
I use Gen6 and I would not recommend it. My board (older revision) has noise issues and no heated bed control. RAMPS seems great (I am going to use them for my 2 machines in build). Sanguinololu seems like a good design also (I have boards coming in to build a few of those so I may test it also).

RAMPS seems to be the most expandable in my opinion though. Kliment's 4pi seems like it will be interesting when it is done too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
February 06, 2012 10:33AM
I have one ramps machine and one gen6 machine. I would _never_ go gen6 again after using ramps, and I'm actually thinking of converting my gen6 to ramps despite the cost.

Just like with hot ends - you get what you pay for. Don't nickle and dime yourself out of a properly working machine. Spend it where it counts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login