I want to built an Prusa i3 Printer equiped with a prusa Nozzle,

I want to use this Extruder :

Gregs Wade Extruder

Now there are 3 Stl versions of it:

The:
* groovemount
* jhead mount
* reprap-fab.org

Which one will fit ? for the Prusa Nozzle ?

Cause on the official site there is the following statement:

Developer Batch #0 units are shipped with Wade extruder compatible aluminium mounting plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2013 06:02PM by Foxen.
Re: Prusa I3 Prusa Nozzle + Gregs Wade ?
July 02, 2013 04:10AM
If this is your first Reprap a Prusa nozzle might not be a good choice. It's been problematic for some with lower temp filament, particularly PLA. There is quite a bit of discussion over the General forum in a thread that talks about the release of the part.

The nozzle mounts to any of the Greg's Wade's with symmetrical mounting holes and is able to be mounted to a vertical position X carriage. There are now several versions of the i3. Prusa's Github is the best place to start looking though his single plate RP parts use a compact type drict drive extruder. Extruders that fit on horizontal X carriages likely won't fit on the vertically oriented carriage like what you linked to in your post. For an i3 with a geared extruder you'll likely need to use what is called a "dual" carriage. It's wider than the compact model designed for a direct drive extruder.

As for mounting the nozzle, one thing I don't like about mine is that many if not most of the Greg's Wade's are made for a JHead. They have a counterbore for the JHead which means that it's more difficult to get the filament through the extruder into the nozzle. The compact extruder in the Github has a shallower counterbore and is easier to load filament. You could also mod the .scad for an extruder with a counterbore and fill it in.

My advice would be to not get an all metal hot end at this point. Get familiar with the basics with a JHead, there are thousands out there and many will help support your build and config. The all metal hot ends are pretty new and there is more of a degree of difficulty and some just flat don't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 04:13AM by vegasloki.
July 12, 2013 07:30AM
I purchased Wades plastic parts & the J-head MkV nozzle. This is also my first build ( Prusa i3 Einstein )

So far it operates great... but I am yet to do a hot run as I'm having issues with reversed motors sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2013 04:57PM by Mickman.
July 15, 2013 07:00AM
My Wades extruder with J-Head are running well on my Prusa i3.

Wade's Extruder Setup Tips:

1.) Over Tightened Hobb Bolt nuts... Bad as it this causes too much strain on the stepper motor. I use two nuts on the Hob Bolt. This acts as a locking mechanism.

2.) make sure your filament flows freely through the wades plastic hole down to the nozzle. I used a small round file to make the hole slightly larger until the filament passed through easily.

3.) Check the mating surface of plastic gears.. do they roll all the way around smoothly.. often a gear that's been badly printed will symmetrical.
This causes

note: I'm a newbie in the world of 3D printing & am building 2 x Prusa i3s so I ran into all sorts of issues... but with a little patience and Google searching I found most of the answers to my problems. + a little common sense helps. The PRusa i3 is a relatively new Printer on the scene so is open to all sorts of variations and improvements... Taking this into account you have to be weary there's several variations of printed parts, frames etc.. out there.

It can be frustrating trying to understand some of the build instructions as there's no real authority or official manual to follow & the RepRap manual leaves a lot of guesstimating.
July 15, 2013 11:28PM
The OP is referring to the Prusa Nozzle, an all metal hot end. It behaves quite differently than a JHead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 11:29PM by vegasloki.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login