Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MendelMax bed size.

Posted by TheSniper 
MendelMax bed size.
July 12, 2012 11:22PM
All,
Assuming one was intending on using a Mk1 heated bed. what would the Y bed size be?
I intend on making a dual layers on with a spring setup keeping them separated. So the lower Y bed, then the springs,
then the upper Y bed which will have the Mk1 pcb heater on then glass on top of that. Im guessing the bed should be larger than the heater foot print>
which is 214 mm square.
Last question should the final working surface just clear the ends of the aluminum structure. so the Y axis movement is not trapped by the frame it self?
Thanks all!
Sam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2012 11:46PM by TheSniper.

SamR
MendelMax... (A build for ever in process... ... ... will it/ Is it ever done!?) yea, Its done alright its sitting collecting dust!
Moved onto a Creality CR-10
Re: MendelMax bed size.
July 13, 2012 03:14PM
Take a look at this AlephObjects Y-Bed to get an idea on bed plate sizing and hole dimensions / locations.

You definitely want to make sure your bed is narrower than the inside dimension of the printer, otherwise you WILL have interference issues. I also found that you want to pay attention to your Z-clearance above the X-Axis extrusions. There is a small tab on the printed parts that will interfere with your bed if you don't have enough height between your lower and upper beds.

As long as you stay pretty close to the dimensions of the aforementioned "thing" you will be safe. If you want to maximize your buildable area and are not interested in using a MKI/MKII heated bed you can push the dimensions as far as 220mm in the X-Direction and 300mm in the Y-Direction.

--Edit to add link--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2012 03:15PM by archistrong.
July 13, 2012 04:11PM
Excellent. info Will be most helpful
2 things further:
1:What do you mean by the "small tab"
2: What is the recommended height for between beds.

fwiw my Build is using the same Y guides as in the pic @thingiverse.
I was intending on using 3/16-1/4 plate aluminum for the lower and upper pretty comparable to the one on Thingiverse.

Sam

archistrong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take a look at this AlephObjects Y-Bed to get an
> idea on bed plate sizing and hole dimensions /
> locations.
>
> also found that you want to pay attention to your
> Z-clearance above the X-Axis extrusions. There is
> a small tab on the printed parts that will
> interfere with your bed if you don't have enough
> height between your lower and upper beds.

SamR
MendelMax... (A build for ever in process... ... ... will it/ Is it ever done!?) yea, Its done alright its sitting collecting dust!
July 13, 2012 04:58PM
I should have asked if your build was for a MendelMax v1.0 or v1.5. If you are building the v1.5 have a look at the attached picture.

Depending on your print bed thickness you should look at anywhere between 30mm - 35mm should work. I would think twice about using aluminum for your build plates. If you can get them laser cut from 3mm material you should be okay, but if you go to a local metal supplier they may cut your aluminum using a shear which will introduce a nice big bend through your build plates (as I found out, wasting $20 of material in the process). Also 1/4" (6mm) aluminum is actually quite heavy. I tried building a heated bed with a 300mm x 220mm x 6mm aluminum plate and it was so heavy I was missing steps during print moves. Look into 3mm - 6mm acrylic or MDF, sure their not quite as bling as a nice sheet of aluminum but are significantly lighter, cheaper and can be easily located perfectly flat. I wouldn't suggest plywood as the individual ply's will absorb ambient humidity and start to warp on you. My build plates are modeled after the AlephObjects I linked to above out of 1/4" MDF and they work perfectly!
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled-2.jpg (608.8 KB)
July 13, 2012 06:17PM
If it isn't "cast" aluminum, it's likely not very flat even before they cut it with shears.

Nophead recommends Dibond, which should be both flat, and light, I've been looking for a place to buy it in small quantities here in the states, but have yet to find anywhere open to small orders.
July 13, 2012 10:10PM
Archistrong,
Thanks for the good info. The overall mass was concerning me. I was going to skeletonize the aluminum plate.
to reduce its over all mass. i have tons on hand, should be an easy part to build. But after reading your post Ill consider Acrylic or plastic in general.
both of which I have plenty of on hand. Also I called the people at Aleph. they were super helpful. and had plenty of good info too. thanks so much.
Ill post my findings in hopes some one else such as my self can prosper from it.

fwiw: my mm is a 1.5 just like the one in the pic you posted,

archistrong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I should have asked if your build was for a
> MendelMax v1.0 or v1.5. If you are building the
> v1.5 have a look at the attached picture.
>
> Depending on your print bed thickness you should
> look at anywhere between 30mm - 35mm should work.
> I would think twice about using aluminum for your
> build plates. If you can get them laser cut from
> 3mm material you should be okay, but if you go to
> a local metal supplier they may cut your aluminum
> using a shear which will introduce a nice big bend
> through your build plates (as I found out, wasting
> $20 of material in the process). Also 1/4" (6mm)
> aluminum is actually quite heavy. I tried
> building a heated bed with a 300mm x 220mm x 6mm
> aluminum plate and it was so heavy I was missing
> steps during print moves. Look into 3mm - 6mm
> acrylic or MDF, sure their not quite as bling as a
> nice sheet of aluminum but are significantly
> lighter, cheaper and can be easily located
> perfectly flat. I wouldn't suggest plywood as the
> individual ply's will absorb ambient humidity and
> start to warp on you. My build plates are modeled
> after the AlephObjects I linked to above out of
> 1/4" MDF and they work perfectly!

SamR
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login