August 21, 2012 06:57PM
Hi guys, i few days ago i got this motors:

[cgi.ebay.com]

Type 17PM-J034-P2VS
Minebea Co. LTD.
Part# FH5-1043
1.8 deg 200 steps/rev when full-stepping
NEMA 17

I think that they will be ok for the axis, but i will need a higher torque one for the extruder, is that correct?
Re: stepper motors
August 23, 2012 09:39AM
Hey, Im only a new builder myself, I was of the understanding that a NEMA 17 motor was sufficient for the Extruder as it is listed in the BOM.

At least thats what I'm hoping as I only have another NEMA 17 motor for my extruder at the moment winking smiley
August 23, 2012 03:27PM
NEMA 17 motors are what you need. The extruder needs a motor with about 5 kg*cm of holding torque, the other four can be a little less. Use this calculator if the motor torque is not given in kg*cm: [www.engineersedge.com]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 21, 2012 05:20AM
Hi There,

First posting here so go easy guys, I'm just collecting parts for a Prusa, the suggested stepper for the print head is a minimum of 40 Ncm but there are no recommendations for the other motors. What would be the minimum for the drive motors please? I am trying to build on a budget, as it is just for interest, but don't want to waste money on motors that are too small, equally I don't want to go mad and buy vastly overrated ones which would be just as much a waste. Any help appreciated.

Terry
September 21, 2012 05:56AM
I bought two lots of those motors for two Prusa V2's I built and they work fine. The X and Y motors got too hot with the current turned up so I added VGA fans to them and now they run sweet. That said I just bought 5 of the bigger ones for my nex project and they aren't much more so I won't be buying the little ones again. They work fine for the z axis by the way, and run warm on the extruder.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
September 21, 2012 01:39PM
thanks!.

The fans that you added are fixed with an adaptor or with screws directly to the stepper body?
September 21, 2012 05:09PM
I made the press fit holders here - [www.thingiverse.com]
The VGA fans are dirt cheap and seem to run forever but even if they fail I have a bag full of them at 99 cents each smiling smiley

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
March 21, 2013 12:45AM
I have the same motors..... The issues im having is they jump around and turn in any way they feel like.... How the hell did you get them to work... Im about to throw them out the dam window.. Im using a ramps 1.4

Ramps has 2b,2a,1a,1b

The stepper has

PIN1= B-
PIN2= B COMMON
PIN3= B
PIN4= A
PIN5= A COMMON
PIN6= A-

WTF am i doing wrong here...

nic0laz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi guys, i few days ago i got this motors:
>
> [cgi.ebay.com]
> =320960500480&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160#ht_2448
> wt_1262
>
> Type 17PM-J034-P2VS
> Minebea Co. LTD.
> Part# FH5-1043
> 1.8 deg 200 steps/rev when full-stepping
> NEMA 17
>
>
> I think that they will be ok for the axis, but i
> will need a higher torque one for the extruder, is
> that correct?
March 21, 2013 01:38AM
Ignore the common terminals so the pairs are Pin1 & Pin 3 to 2a & 2b and Pin 4 & Pin 6 to 1a & 1b. If they go the wrong way swap either 2a & 2b or 1a & 1b but not both.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
March 21, 2013 03:35AM
My extruder motor is a small NEMA 17 I found in an old epson printer, since the extruder is the geared variant, it needs not so much torque. It doesn't miss steps at all, but it runs quite hot.

The z-motors are the ones with least resistance, atleast if you use 2 of them.

Put the extruder together with the small NEMA 17 and try to extrude. there is far higher chance the extrusion problem is because of the hobbed bolt than the motor.
March 21, 2013 06:25AM
I use 56 oz-in steppers, including the extruder and they get barely warm in operation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login