Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are these printed parts ok

Posted by darryn 
Are these printed parts ok
October 15, 2012 07:08AM
Hi all.
I am busy planning the build of my first 3D printer.
A seller has offered me the attached set of printed parts for a Prusa.
I see that some of the parts look a lot different to the other kits I have seen.
Would this kit be okay to start off with, or should I look at something else?

TIA
Darryn
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0719.JPG (107.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_0720.JPG (111.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_0721.JPG (112.9 KB)
Re: Are these printed parts ok
October 15, 2012 12:11PM
Hey Darryn, I'm in the middle of building my first prusa as well, and purchased a kit that came with (roughly) the same parts you're looking at. Your kit is (and my kit was) missing two RP pulleys (I think only two were missing), and I ended up finding a member in the forum who was gracious enough to make and mail me a set. You may want to ask the seller to include two for you, because all of the research I've done shows that it's needed! The piece you need is pictured below. Don't confuse it with the one you received as part of your Greg's Hinged Wade's Extruder! You'll have three total, if you include that one.

Looking in the Prusa Mendel i2 bill of materials, I don't see these RP pulleys listed... I'm not sure if they were removed in i2, but if so, I have no clue how you're supposed to drive the belt with the two motors without them!
October 15, 2012 12:12PM
Here's where I begged for some extra RP pulleys:

[forums.reprap.org]

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 12:12PM by picklemonkey.
October 15, 2012 10:51PM
You have some upgrade parts there.
In the first picture top left is a one-piece y carriage, instead or four LM8UU holders - it makes it easier to align the Y-carriage.
Bottom right are two z-stabilisers, these attachbelow the z-axis to steady the lead screws. The other parts on this page are standard.
Picture two has Jonas Jeuhling's x-ends top left and his design for a LM8UU x-carriage bottom left. Bottom right is a modified Gregs extruder with a lock plate for a j-head hotend and the extruder gears are top right.
Picture three are stock parts for the micro switches (bottom left), z-couplers (top right) plus modified z-motors that look like the ones used on a Prusa Pro - and will work fine on your printer.
Did you get any build instructions or a link to the build? These are the basic v2 build instructions: [www.reprap.org])

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
October 16, 2012 01:12AM
Hi All.
Thank you for the replies.

I have not actually purchased the kit yet.
I was just checkling to see if this would be okay to buy.
So do you guys think that this a good kit to start with?
So, from what you can see, there are just the two RP pulleys missing to complete the printed parts of the kit?

I don't have any build instructions for this specific variation of the kit, but I am sure I should be able to source something.
October 16, 2012 03:48AM
This is what I bought originally which looks similar to the parts you have: MakerFarm
And these build instructions here should help with your kit: V2 Prusa build instructions

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
October 16, 2012 09:52AM
Wired's inventory is spot on, kudos. I'm surprised he was able to point out the source of all the variations... good job smiling smiley

Though I'm still a beginner, it does look like if you can get the two additional RP pulleys, this kit should work. The link Wired gave you has the two RP pulleys included in it. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably purchase that kit instead of your original one since it looks like everything comes and you won't need to try to negotiate with the other.
October 22, 2012 02:48AM
The parts in the images appear to be upgraded from the "standard" Prusa i2 and are probably a better choice that the kit Wired1 linked (though I've built the latter and was happy with the overall experience, especially Makerfarm's customer service). There's nothing in the parts in the image that require more skill or knowledge than the standard parts, and the fact that the X Carriage has fan mounts is reason enough to go with them. Reading through the standard instructions give a good enough sense of how it all fits together, and there are a lot of helpful people on the IRC channel at any given moment.

I would recommend against using RP pulleys. Any inconsistencies in them have a direct impact on printing. If you need to drill them out a little to fit onto your motor shafts, you'll have to accomplish a perfectly centered drilling to avoid producing a cam shape that affects your prints. Metal pulleys are worth it, unless you're committed to having maximum printed parts at any cost.
October 22, 2012 12:11PM
Are there any particular metal pulleys that you suggest?
October 23, 2012 03:35AM
I'm using these:

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/hardware/t2-5-pulleys-and-belt.html

There are other choices; you just need to make sure the belt matches the pulleys. If you're self sourcing, it's a good idea to order from as few suppliers as possible, to avoid losing any cost advantage to shipping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login