Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Supply and Electronics Housing. Keeping my Mendel build tidy

Posted by tosjduenfs 
Power Supply and Electronics Housing. Keeping my Mendel build tidy
October 26, 2012 09:53AM
I'm building a Linear Prusa Mendel. My last project was designing and building a CNC router table. I learned that if I don't want a rat's nest of wires then you need zip ties, heat shrink, braided mesh for long wires and a central point for them to go. While waiting for my printed parts to arrive I decided to put my router table to work and make my "central point". Inside is a 12v 30amp power supply and my ramps 1.4 with LCD/SD controller from gadgets3d.com. Also on the front panel I've got an illuminated main power switch and 3 aux switches for fans. One controls the case fan that blows over the stepper drivers and mosfets, one to control a fan blowing over the cold barrel of the extruder and another to control a bed fan. Once my printer is finished it will go right on top. If anyone would like the DXFs for these parts I'd be happy to share. The enclosure was made from 1/8" HDPE. I need to debur the edges a bit.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2012 09:56AM by tosjduenfs.
Attachments:
open | download - 20121026_075730[1].jpg (436.4 KB)
open | download - 20121026_075739[1].jpg (438.9 KB)
open | download - 20121026_075825[1].jpg (408.1 KB)
Re: Power Supply and Electronics Housing. Keeping my Mendel build tidy
November 01, 2012 06:53PM
My Prusa is so close to being finished. The place I bought the frame kit from forgot to include my belts and pulleys so I am waiting for them. I've got marlin loaded onto my ramps 1.4 board. Everything is working as it should. I'm already discovering some of the downfalls of the Prusa Mendel design, but since the frame is so simple and easy to build it is hard to fault the design. My next project will be designing and building a Watson style printer.

With the use of zip ties, corrugated tubing, and wire mesh sleeves I've managed to keep it pretty clean. The rats nest is hidden inside the electronics enclosure.
Attachments:
open | download - 20121101_160019[1].jpg (307.1 KB)
open | download - 20121101_160026[1].jpg (337.1 KB)
November 04, 2012 12:41PM
I dream of some clip to plug/unplug power supply and electronic board on the printer itself. This way you can replicate the box easily. Another concern would be to be able to use the same electronics on two different printers to lower the cost and ease maintenance.
November 04, 2012 04:41PM
I'm loving that enclosure! It looks so clean and tidy, nice work!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login