Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder can't keep up!

Posted by cyberminion 
Extruder can't keep up!
November 23, 2012 10:20AM
Hi folks, wondering if someone can give me some advice.

I've had my Mendel for about a year and things have been going fine using the FiveD GCode Interpreter firmware and RepSnapper. I started having problems with globs of filament on prints so I thought I'd take a look and see what the big kids are playing with now.

Updated the firmware to Marlin and I'm now trying to get my head around Skeinforge (so many buttons, ARGH!) and Pronterface.

Anyway, what's happening is that when i try and print with Pronterface, the X,Y and Z axes are mighty speedy but my extruder just cant keep up. I've tried printing at a higher temp, which seems to help a little, I also adjusted the STEPS_MM_E to 650 but that had no effect.

Also, in Pronterface when I click on the extrude button it moves 1mm of filament rather than 5mm.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Cyb3R
Re: Extruder can't keep up!
November 23, 2012 12:23PM
You need to calibrate your extruder in Pronterface until 5mm extrusion equals 5mm, google Slic3r is Nicer and follow the instructions!

Prusa with cast PU parts, RAMPS 1.3, Wades extruder, J-Head hot end
November 23, 2012 12:44PM
Wow, so I was editing the wrong darn line. Sorry, rookie mistake!

Thank you so much for your help, prints starting to look much nicer now.
November 23, 2012 01:09PM
If you're scared by skeinforge (it scares the willies out of me), take a look at slic3r (open source) or kisslicer (not open source but free). They both produce excellent results but are easier to set up than skeinforge. Karleburg's comment is very valid.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
November 23, 2012 01:23PM
Thanks Moto,

I'm taking a look at Slic3r now, it does look a lot simpler than Skeinforge plus it has friendly tutorials. The only thing it could do better is have 'Don't Panic' written on it in big friendly letters!

p.s really glad skeinforge freaks other people out 'cause it scares the bejeezus out of me!

Cyb3R
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login