Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prusa i1-i2 extruder difference?

Posted by nastybyte 
prusa i1-i2 extruder difference?
February 06, 2013 06:31AM
Hello,
i've just started building a prusa i2, and i've noticed that the printed parts for the extruder on the prusa build instruction page is quite different from those shown on the build instruction for "wade's geared extruder". For example, the idler on wade's page is fastened by 4 bolts, but the one pictured on the i2 page only has 2, and - i suppose - some other form of tightening mechanism. The extruder block also looks quite different. I can't find any information relating to this difference, could someone please point me in the right direction? It seems i've got the i2 version (two idler bolts/springs) so the assembly instructions on wade's page doesen't apply.
Re: prusa i1-i2 extruder difference?
February 06, 2013 11:36PM
It sounds to me like you don't have the original extruder, but you've got one of the (better) follow ups. If I understand, these extruders follow their own path and are largely interchangeable, and they aren't necessarily tied to a particular Prusa version.

In your situation, I'd avoid the wiki, and use YouTube and photos and forums to figure what goes where. The extruder designs are complicated and really cool, but what they do is really conceptually simple. You got this.

First things first, let's figure out what you have. Is it something like this:

[www.thingiverse.com] ?

If so, check the comments on that item for a link to someone else's instructions. And photos tell most of the story. The basic idea is filament gets lightly squeezed between the hobbed portion of the bolt and a 608 bearing. A little gear on your stepper turns a big gear with that bolt, and the hobbed bolt makes the filament move. If you make that happen, you'll have a functional cold-end.

Let us know if you have any questions. If that link isn't what you have, a photo could go a long way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2013 11:39PM by Karmavore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login