Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Poor quality, spaghetti prints and not accurate prints

Posted by kingoddball 
Poor quality, spaghetti prints and not accurate prints
February 23, 2013 03:13AM
Hi!
I got a prusa up and running. Very cool toy.

Unfortunately, all of my prints are bad.

Bridging is poor. Every time, they sink in and looks like a canyon. I tried to change brigde speeds and such. no help. I added an extra layer (4 rather than 3), helpped but still.

Now... My main issue.

I have either melted bases which look like glass or spaghetti (as attached).

The attached photo, these are my best prints so far and these are not good.
From a distance, they look good.
When you take a look, all teeth have spaghetti running through them.
The large cog is also thinner than it should be... By this, I mean, it has been compressed/pushed/smushed down.
Seems like it has bogged on itself.

The base of the other looks like it has not joined.
All of my prints come out like these...

I have other problems with prints. But maybe someone can help a new user out. Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2013 05:48AM by kingoddball.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 7.08.12 PM.png (444.8 KB)
Re: Poor quality, spaghetti prints and not accurate prints
February 23, 2013 08:47AM
Looks like you are trying to print with a layer height bigger than your nozzle allows. Measure the diameter of filament extruded into mid air and work out its cross sectional area. Your filament width times the layer height must be a little less than that.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 24, 2013 09:50PM
Kingoddball,

This looks very similar to my first attempt, I was so excited to finally get my printer functioning I forgot to double check all the settings were correct with my slicer. Turns out it was set at the default .50 nozzle and I have a .35. I also found my extruder steps were too low by about 40%, everything was very flexible and my perimeters weren't touching. Once I settled down and went through the setup the way I should have everything came out fine.
February 25, 2013 10:52PM
Gyvven is probably on to something there, but I wanted to try nophead's exercise to see how it comes out to me. I'd advise you start with calibration cubes. I've used these, but there are lots of options out there.

The diameter of filament extruded into air for me is .50 mm (despite my .35 j-head?)
The cross-sectional area would then be 3.14*(.50/2)^2 = .196 mm2
My filament width (.5 mm) times the layer height (.25 mm) is .125 mm2, which is less than .196 mm2. So I have layer height to spare.

By this math, I'd need to keep my layer height some amount well under .196/.5 = .392. Good stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login