Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 - stainless steel?

Posted by jkoljo 
Prusa i3 - stainless steel?
May 09, 2013 04:53PM
Hello,

I am thinking of building a single plate Prusa i3, to replace my trusty i2. I have access to a laser cutter, but the problem is that those machines only cut stainless steel properly, aluminium is a tough challenge.

That is why I am thinking of building the i3 using stainless steel. I did some calculations, comparing the Young's modules of each material, and I came to conclusion that about 2.3 mm thick stainless steel should be enough to be as strong as the aluminium counterpart. What do you ppl think?

Then to the most important question. As it is very hard to make threads on laser cut steel (would have to cut smaller holes, drill them and then thread), is it possible to just use a bolt and then nut on the other side? Does the design of i3 allow for that?
Re: Prusa i3 - stainless steel?
May 09, 2013 11:14PM
Ok ive worked laser cutters, and I have never experienced difficulties cutting aluminium, have you tried waterjet cutting instead
May 10, 2013 03:30AM
The problem is that I can only cut to certain depth because of the focus of the machine. I do not have access to water jet cutter, unfortunately.
May 10, 2013 09:54AM
yeah struggle on small holes what about getting one milled where are u uk/usa
May 10, 2013 06:54PM
I am from Finland.. Does anybody know if the bolt through option is viable?
May 11, 2013 02:54AM
Bolt through is an option. Stainless is a lot more expensive than AL.
May 11, 2013 04:20PM
Cool, thanks for answering smiling smiley
May 12, 2013 05:41AM
if you get the it cut by waterjet they should be able to cut 2.5mm depending on their tolerances, lasers will just mark them tap the holes to 3mm too match the parts but i tapped mine to 4mm and changed the hole sizes in the rp parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login