Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS Print Bed Problems

Posted by xNuno 
ABS Print Bed Problems
June 24, 2013 07:25AM
Hi, I have one [reprappro.com] and I'm trying to print ABS plastic for the first time but I'm having some issues and I after a lot of waiting my bed only heats up to 87 degrees...I can't heat up to 110 like recommended for ABS Plastic...

Can someone help me please?

Best Regards,
Nuno
Re: ABS Print Bed Problems
June 24, 2013 08:42AM
Do you have insulation underneath the printed circuit board heater?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
June 24, 2013 08:58AM
I have only a aluminium and glass on top of the circuit board heater...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 08:59AM by xNuno.
June 24, 2013 09:17AM
Try putting insulation under the heated bed.
At least a third of your heat is being lost in that direction.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
June 24, 2013 10:24AM
I think I already have it is wood or something cutted by cnc...I bought the kit of my tricolour on the reprappro site so it must the correct material to have?!? right?
June 24, 2013 04:35PM
You said aluminum and then you said wood. What do you have beneath your bed? Insulation f some kind - as close to the bed as possible will help you reach higher temperatures.

Also, what about the wires between the controller board and the bed. What gauge are you using. I would recommend no smaller that 20 gauge, 18 if you have it. I am using 16. (smaller numbers = larger wire)

And the last thing to look at is the solder connection between the wire and the board. This has to be a good solid joint with a lot of solder. You're passing a lot of current through here. Make sure it is a good connection.
June 24, 2013 04:58PM
Sorry for the misunderstood...I bought the complete KIT on RepRapPro store, so all items must be correct. Can you check the specs of the Tricolour Model? that's what I have and I follow the assemble instructions so...

Maybe the heat bed resistor is with problems or the heated bed?...
June 24, 2013 07:03PM
xNuno, it sounds like you're getting roughly the same performance I got out of my heated bed before insulating it. The suggestions provided... thicker wire, better solder joints, insulation, are top notch. To this I'll add that if you've got a fan blowing on it, you might never get to 100.

I've got aluminum, cardboard, a couple layers of a teflon baking sheet, PCB (ridges up), glass, kapton. I can get to 90 degrees in about 20 minutes. A little longer if it is cold in my house. I set the print with the first layer at 90, but with subsequent layers at 100. It works great for me.

Good luck.
June 25, 2013 05:52AM
Karmavore,

Can you post pics of the insulation you made?

Best regards all for the help...
June 25, 2013 12:47PM
Sure. I upgraded from two platforms with plywood to one aluminum platform. Pictures from the process are here: [plus.google.com].
June 25, 2013 01:13PM
So the idea it's put the Kapton, Glass, Circuit Bed, Aluminium, Wood on this order?
June 25, 2013 03:23PM
xNuno, yes, but no wood. I found wood to be no end of trouble, because it bends, making bed leveling nigh on impossible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login