Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie: RepRapPro Mendel x PP3DP Up Printer

Posted by AlexBorro 
Newbie: RepRapPro Mendel x PP3DP Up Printer
July 26, 2013 09:15AM
Hi Guys,

I'm new in this 3D printer wonderful world and, as usual, trying to pick a model to play with.

My question is should I get a pre-built one or build one. My main concern is printer and printing quality and durability.
As electrical engineer, I have enough skills to build my one.

I was wondering if a selfbuilt RepRapPro Mendel Mono (http://reprappro.com/products/mono-mendel/) would perform as good as a PP3DP Up 3D Plus (http://www.up3dusa.com/#!plus/c2nh).

Are the specs of Mendel as good as the Up 3D ?? I mean, accuracy, resolution, lowest layer height, bed temperature and so one.

I have did my homework and they look like similar, I just didn't found the Mendel bed temperature as long as the Up3D is 105ºC.

Any advice is welcome.

Alex.
Re: Newbie: RepRapPro Mendel x PP3DP Up Printer
July 26, 2013 09:49AM
AlexBorro
Are the specs of Mendel as good as the Up 3D ?? I mean, accuracy, resolution, lowest layer height, bed temperature and so one.

As good or BETTER!
Standard Mendel print area is 200mm x 200mm.
Height varies between 100mm to 200mm (Mendel90)

The UP! mini does have an enclosed volume with helps with printing ABS.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 26, 2013 10:13AM
Hi Bob, I appreciate your help.

I noted Mendel can print bigger objects. It is 210x190x140 and UP3D is 140x140x135 (mm)

About enclosed volume, the Mendel didn't have as well. Check picture attached.

I was told the UP3D has a great print software with good features like auto build supports. Will I have same features with Mendel Software??

As I told, I'm newbie so I don't know which points I should pay attention.

Thanks!

Alex.
Attachments:
open | download - mono_mendel.jpg (162.5 KB)
July 26, 2013 10:51AM
ONLY the Up! mini has an enclosed build space.
The Up! plus and Up! plus2 do NOT.

Many RepRappers enclose their printer in a wood (or cardboard) box to creat a heated build space.

The Up! requires special expensive filament
The Mendel (or other RepRap printer) does not...

When something goes wrong with the printer (and it WILL GO WRONG) with an Up! you won't necessarily be able to fix the problem.
With a self built RepRap printer you understand how it works and over time know what problems cause the prints to not come out as desired.
You can localize and fix problems yourself (easier than with an Up! printer).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 08, 2013 05:04AM
I have 6 prusa mendels, I work them every day all day like mules making kits for people on ebay. as long as you get good nema motors and a good board you can get the same quality on a reprap as any other printer (makerbot, Up, or solidoodle). In the end all that matters is what comes out of the tip, and if the tip is in the right place at the right time. All the rest is just marketing.
August 09, 2013 09:37PM
i've actually run 2 up! pluses and to be honest even with the oem filament it was a little dissapointing reliability wise

i now run my modified prusa with t5 belt and printed pulleys and run the worst filament the chinese producers have to offer and i'm getting quality that is far beyond what the up! is able to produce,

i have also converted one of them with a smoothieboard and i have noticed an increase in the quality, however you don't realise how badily they are actually built until you pull one apart.

today i have both up!s gathering dust in the corner and the repraps running 24/7 for weeks on end without a single issue,
the up! extruder is simple not designed for use with anything other than up! oem filament and certainly runs poorly on pla,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

August 09, 2013 09:45PM
Thanks thejollygrimreaper for your comments!

Actually, after a little more research, I have pulled the trigger on a Prusa I3 ;-)

Let's see how it performs!!

Alex.
August 09, 2013 09:54PM
you'll always be able to do better with a reprap, because everything can be configured, closed source printers like the up!, you are stuck with things like pulleys and filament drives,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

August 10, 2013 01:49PM
@AlexBorro I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm researching on getting a printer. Was very interested in the QU-BD Revolution, but it's in pre-prod and they're really late with their initial orders. I figured it might be better for me to get a smaller starter kit so I can really understand how to work with all the intricacies such as the software and hardware.

What made you decide on the Prusa l3? And any updates once you get it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
drej

AlexBorro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks thejollygrimreaper for your comments!
>
> Actually, after a little more research, I have
> pulled the trigger on a Prusa I3 ;-)
August 10, 2013 03:12PM
Hi drej,

I made my mind on the Prusa I3 based on reports found on the web. Let's point them:

- Beautiful: Among RepReps, it is one of the most beautiful printers.
- Easy to assemble: For a beginner, it is important.
- Good print envelope (200mm x 200mm x 200mm)
- Improved design over the well known and worthy Prusa Mendel V2 (as know as I2 as well).
- I have found a great kit for a good price, with some nice features:
- - LCD Display
- - SD Card: It is able to print without a PC, with is great because many guys around have communication issues (check the page 34 of RepRapMagazine issue 2: [s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com])

About the kit, I have got this one: [www.makerfarm.com]

As far as I know, MakerFarm is owned by Colin Farrer. I contacted him by email and he provided me an AWESOME support! Answering emails in minutes, he explained me all about the printer, specs, building and printing tricks and so on. That's kind of support makes you confident!

After ordering the kit (a week ago, it is still on its way - I'm from Brazil), I watched the building videos he made. The printer is really easy to put together and Mr. Farrer took care even of frame holes for zip-ties and wiring. Check the videos and you will see by yourself.

I hope the kit knock my door this week so I can start the job!!!

If you have any further question, let me know!

Alex.
August 11, 2013 07:56PM
Thanks for the info Alex! After a bit more research I'm pretty sure I'll get the Prusa i3. Seems to have good features and a decent price point. At some point I'd like dual extrusion and the RAMPS 1.4 controller is supposed to support it.

Check out the videos from this guy who bought one from MakerFarm and reviewed his experience:

MakerFarm Prusa i3 Video Reviews
(the reviews are split in 3 parts and they are near the top of his uploaded videos)

Enjoy building your new toy when it comes smiling smiley

drej
August 11, 2013 10:00PM
Nice. I'm starting to think I wish I went with the Prusa i3 versus the i2 which I just purchased and having some troubles getting it put together. I believe, the i3 was a lot easier to build too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login