Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice on PLA filament...

Posted by disneytoy 
Advice on PLA filament...
September 18, 2013 02:45PM
Hello Gang!

Haven't printed yet. Have a reel of black Octava ABS, but also want to try PLA when I'm finally printing. What is a good manufacturer? Any to stay away from? moisture, filament voids, breaks?

Thanks

Maxi
Re: Advice on PLA filament...
September 19, 2013 11:59AM
Where are you located?

Best sources in the US (IMHO) are [ultimachine.com] , [shop.printbl.com] , and [www.protoparadigm.com]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 30, 2013 03:29PM
Just tried the Monoprice.com PLA (I ahve tried both black and white and they also have red) and it's as good as the ultimachine but only $26 for 1Kg. I have also used PLA from Amazon.com called Jet - PLA. It worked fine too but costs $36 per Kg. Just another opinion.

-Jay
October 01, 2013 10:38AM
jay
Just tried the Monoprice.com PLA

1.75 or 3 mm ? I was wondering if the monoprice stuff was going to suffer from inconsistent diameter? No problems so far, I guess?

Just looked at Protoparadigm.....

Great selection, good price at $33.50
Freight to Texas UPS Ground $13. Ugh. $300 order gets free shipping though.

How about makergeeks stuff? They seem to have a bunch of options starting at $35 and has free shipping on everything, which is much better than the $46 for ultimachine and $33 + freight for protoparadigm

Anybody used makergeeks yet? I am going to buy a few parts from there and I am thinking about buying a roll of PLA from them. They are in Missouri.

I saw a link for JUSTPLA.com a while back,they are cheap, but their Amazon ratings suck, and talk about inconsistent diameter, so you may want to stay away.

MatterHackers is another I would like to know about. PLA starts at $33 and they have free shipping as well. They are in California.

Anyone have any reviews on makergeeks or matterhackers filament?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 10:44AM by mattmc.
October 01, 2013 02:12PM
3mm. I have not had any issues and I use a Bowden tube

mattmc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
jay
> Just tried the Monoprice.com PLA
>
>
> 1.75 or 3 mm ? I was wondering if the monoprice
> stuff was going to suffer from inconsistent
> diameter? No problems so far, I guess?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login