Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

About to buy a Prusa i3 Kit...smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by BlaiddDrwg 
About to buy a Prusa i3 Kit...smiling bouncing smiley
December 28, 2013 09:48PM
I came into some XMas/Birthday money I wasn't really expecting and it's basically increased by 3d printer budget enough to where I'm literally about to buy the Prusa i3 6" kit from Makerfarm. But before I do, I wanted to get some feedback on what to keep in mind with this kit or what I might need to purchase in addition (aside from the glass and power supply, they recommend Antec VP 450W Power Supply, so I was going to order that). I was going to go with the Magma extruder and I want the option of running the printer from an SD card as well. Okay, so any and all input greatly appreciated!

I'm hoping to be able to use the printer I build to build other types of RepRaps with my students :-D

Thanks!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 10:01PM by BlaiddDrwg.
Re: About to buy a Prusa i3 Kit...smiling bouncing smiley
December 28, 2013 10:15PM
On power supply: [forums.reprap.org]
I am pretty sure that makerfarm kits come with LCD screen and that means standalone printing smiling smiley
December 29, 2013 12:13PM
I have used the Antec supplies in PC's they are fairly good for a cheap / low end supply. I would not use one on a printer.
December 29, 2013 06:24PM
What would you suggest?

Thanks!
December 29, 2013 06:25PM
Also, what type of glass should I be buying for the hot bed?

Thanks again!
December 29, 2013 09:00PM
Another question, is there a difference between the 6" and the 8" (aside from size)? Would the 8" be a better buy?
December 29, 2013 09:43PM
More or less in order -

1) The MeaWell supply from TRC that I called out in the other thread is fine for these printers. The 12V version is the correct one. If you like to tinker and don't mind things catching fire (maybe) the 15V version is "interesting".

2) The 8" printer and 6" printer are identical other than size. The 8" is the better one to get - you can print bigger stuff.

3) Glass is something you can buy at Lowes. A more than adequate supply costs less than $10.
December 29, 2013 10:11PM
I will echo most of what Uncle_Bob just said.
I teach a 3D printing build class with the MakerFarm.
We buy the 8" simply because it is a better buy in general.
For powersupplies I get cheap CoolMax's from Amazon they work just fine. The key is to make
sure you purchase a power supply that supports 16Amps on the +12volts.
For glass start with Lowes window glass. I have moved from ABS Juice or Hair spray to blue painters tape for adhesion - less mess.
Later invest in a good piece of Borosilicate glass - better thermal characteristics.

If you want to print PLA stay with the J-Head and a 0.5mm nozzle.
The Magma hotend is nice but there have been jamming issues reported and I have had some.
December 30, 2013 02:24PM
I would not go with anything under 22 A for a 12V power supply. There is just to much variation between hot ends and heated beds. A one ohm heated bed can pull 12A by it's self. A magma hot end can pull 4A. You still have 10 motor windings, fans, and the control stuff to power up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login