Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Internal Holes too small in nearly all Slicers

Posted by Foxen 
Internal Holes too small in nearly all Slicers
January 02, 2014 05:01PM
Hello, I have built up an Prusa I3 with nearly perfect X and Y Axis,

They are all well calibrated.

I tried now Kisslicer, Slic3r and Cura. and printed a Test plug, with every Slicer.
In every of these 3 Slicer the hole is 0,5 mm too small, outside Dimensions are great.

I know it is due too Arc Compensation.
But why does someone have good holes and bad holes ... Is it also related to the Nozzle and Filament ??

I am using a J head Mk V Nozzle 0,4 mm .

Does someone with a Prusa I3 and a Jhead or with another Nozzle get Accurate Holes sizes ?!

I know there is also Skeeinforge, but I were afraid of the huge amount of parameter so I tried the other 3.

I heard you get the best results with kisslicer ... is there a function to compensate the 0,5 mm somehow ?? like the stretch function in Skeinforge ?

For example, I want to print [www.thingiverse.com] .... but the lower part is fused together because it has 0,4 mm clearence ... but like I said 0,5 mm too Smal -> fused toegether.
Is it somehow possible to edit an STL, and make the clearence bigger ??? If so Which program ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 05:11PM by Foxen.
Re: Internal Holes too small in nearly all Slicers
January 02, 2014 05:58PM
In kisslicer you can try "inset surface" and set it to 0.25mm I guess. That would also affect all the other sides of the part.
I do not think you can change STL. You need a drawing file. And there is a .scad file. You can download openscad and you should be able to edit it.
January 06, 2014 12:39PM
Small internal holes have been an issue with all of the slicers for a *long* time. There are a lot of threads going into the why's and the what's of the issue. Bottom line - nobody has fixed it yet on any of the programs. Until there’s a demonstrated working solution it’s hard to be sure that all of the issues are known.
January 07, 2014 06:52PM
I simply treat it as a design issue and allow 0.2mm tolerance on all surfaces (e.g. on a post which is meant to fit in a 3.0mm diameter hole, make the post diameter no more than 2.6mm).
For a slightly easier fit I'll use 0.25mm. The first layer will tend to spread a tiny bit but that's not usually an issue. I like to have things fit together tightly with no filing required.

I'd rather err on the side of needing a drop of superglue (cyanoacrylate) now and then rather than needing to file...
January 08, 2014 06:21PM
The other approach is to print them and then drill them. A lot depends on the end application.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login