Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calibrating wall thickness

Posted by inh 
inh
Calibrating wall thickness
April 20, 2011 02:58PM
When printing the single wall test piece, I've read to shoot for a value of about .7mm for PLA, but I'm not sure why? I'm having issues where an objects outer diameter comes out spot on, but the inner diameter is much too small. This was most noticeable with a small hollow cylinder designed to fit around an LED. Perhaps its a skeinforge 40 setting I mucked up but I can't help to think that it's related to wall thickness..
Re: Calibrating wall thickness
April 20, 2011 09:27PM
Circles come out smaller because a circle is printed as a polygon inscribed inside the circle among other things. Please read nophead's blog: [hydraraptor.blogspot.com].

As far as the wall thickness of a single-walled piece, it depends on your layer thickness and the width to thickness ratio. There's nothing particular about 0.7 mm. For example, if you're layer thickness is 0.3 and your width over thickness ratio is 1.5, then the wall should be 0.45.
inh
Re: Calibrating wall thickness
April 21, 2011 09:25PM
I've been using the polyholes module, it works great smiling smiley Haven't tried to print another cylinder, but I have my walls looking great at .22 layer thickness.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login