Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First layer of print trick- raftless raft?...

Posted by j_andberg 
First layer of print trick- raftless raft?...
July 08, 2011 11:51AM
Hi All:

Just thought I would pass along the way I devised to get a complicated first layer to print well. I was trying to print a solid with numerous cutouts and small holes, and the first layer was not too good. Since skeinforge breaks up the print into a bunch of different regions printed in a strange order (along with my less-than-rigid laser cut system) the first layer had a some regions where there were gaps in the print. Also, adhesion of some of the small hole outlines was problematic.

My solution was to go back to my solid modeller and extrude a thin solid layer, 0.4mm (the layer thickness) in my case, to be on the print bed. When skeinforge slices this, it prints in one continuous piece, and from one direction. Subsequent layers stick well to this. At the end, I only need to open the holes and cutouts with a drill or razor knife to finish the print. Please see pictures for example...

john
Attachments:
open | download - solidlayertop.jpg (50.2 KB)
open | download - solidlayerbottom.jpg (27 KB)
Re: First layer of print trick- raftless raft?...
July 09, 2011 08:18AM
That is a nice workaround for difficult parts. But have you looked into [Raft - Object First Layer] in skeinforge? I print the first layer slower than the rest of the print (at a ratio of 0.75) which ensures is sticks well. With some PLA filament I set the infill feed rate to 0.6 and the infill flow rate to 0.75, which makes it spit out a bit more plastic so the first layer of the object stick very well.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login