Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Considering building a Darwin with modern twists. Thoughts?

Posted by odonnell 
Considering building a Darwin with modern twists. Thoughts?
October 23, 2023 04:05PM
Hello all, new to the forum here. I've been in the 3D printing hobby for around 2 years now, and want to build another machine. I'm intrigued by the very early printers. There doesn't seem to be much surviving discussion on the Darwin, outside of legacy / archived wiki articles and forum chat. Most of the attention is on the Mendel, which is fair enough as this was seen as a major improvement over Darwin. But I already have 2 bed slingers....

I have a ton of leftover parts from working on Ender printers and was thinking... how cool would it be to build a Darwin, using a modern extruder and electronics? I am imagining a 24v system with an E3D V6, geared extruder, and Klipper running from a Raspberry Pi I have sitting around. Heated bed as well. I think it would be an interesting experiment to see how capable the design is, given the advantage of a modern slicer and firmware.

I have most, if not all, of the electronics already in hand. Power supply, heated bed, Ender LCD display, Creality 4.2.2 mainboard, and many other parts as well. I would print the RP parts in ASA on my other printers... so it would mostly be a case of getting the threaded rods, smooth rods, misc. hardware, etc.

Let me know your thoughts. I would love to document this build, maybe make a Youtube series of the process. The only videos I could find are very short clips from the early days - nothing recent, showcasing the original Darwin in action.
VDX
Re: Considering building a Darwin with modern twists. Thoughts?
October 23, 2023 04:42PM
... the Darwin had a stiffer frame, but more redundant parts ... the later ones were either more simply/faster to assemble or had "fancier" variations or other "more interesting" characteristics.

It's nothing wrong with the Darwin - it was the then most promising entry into the theme with high possibility to find most of the needed parts at your local stores ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Considering building a Darwin with modern twists. Thoughts?
October 24, 2023 03:32AM
Makes sense. I think it would be cool to revive this old design, will share models of the custom parts I need to design. Seems like 8mm rods / tube is inexpensive from Aliexpress. I suspect that print quality will be on par with any other basic cartesian printer, as Klipper's input shaping will be used to compensate for any frame vibrations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login