Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different printers - same issue? What SF setting to change?

Posted by bbence 
Different printers - same issue? What SF setting to change?
September 01, 2013 09:00AM
I have two different printers, a TOM clone (Come3D C120) and a Replicator 1 Dual clone (Wanhao Duplicator 4).
For both printers I use RepG 40 for Sailfish with Skeinforge, and using the latest Sailfish firmware.
For these printers, I use the default slicing profiles, with a few overrides described on the Sailfish setup page: [www.makerbot.com]

See the attached images of the owls: the yellow one is printed with the Replicator 1 Dual clone, the blue smaller one with the TOM clone. But quite interestingly, both show the same effect on the top layer on the head: there are quite a lot of holes. Even the 20mm hollow box calibration piece shows this artifact.

Printing settings:
- Yellow and Blue ABS
- HBP for the TOM 100C, for the R1 Dual 90C
- Nozzle temp around 230C
- 0.2 mm layer height
- Accelerated speed (80mm/sec feedrate, 150mm/sec travel)
- 5-10% inflill
- Number of shells: 2
- Deprime provided by Sailfish firmware, switched off in SF

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2013 09:00AM by bbence.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_5466.JPG (175 KB)
open | download - DSC_5467.JPG (230.5 KB)
open | download - DSC_5468.JPG (214.9 KB)
Re: Different printers - same issue? What SF setting to change?
September 02, 2013 10:20AM
Are your parts empty? (they seems to be). Difficult to say… what happens at the "holes" moments, is there enought plastic extruded?

François
September 03, 2013 01:31AM
The model itself is not hollow, it's solid. Only I have specified a quite low infill, 5% for the bigger and 10% if I remember well for the smaller print. Unfortunately I have not observed what actually happens during these moments, I have only seen the end result, where these artifacts seem to be quite similar. This fact gives the indication that maybe it's really slicing related.
What I will try is that I will try printing these models with slower speeds, maybe 80mm/sec is too fast for correct filling on the top layer...
September 03, 2013 04:47AM
> What I will try is that I will try printing these models with slower speeds, maybe 80mm/sec is too fast for correct filling on the top layer...

yes, 80mm/s is very quick. Perhaps a ventilator too… are there holes in infill too? (I suppose you should say it…)

François
September 03, 2013 06:40AM
You might need to increase the number of solid layers on the Fill tab.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 04, 2013 08:11AM
Thanks! Actually I did just that, and also decreased the speed and increased the infill to 10%. Now the top layer (actually just a plateau on the owls head) looks much beter but there are still some holes noticable.
I tried playing around with Slic3r, and noticed an option that would increase the solid layer count where the slicer detects a sloping that could benefit from more solid layers. I don't suppose there is such option in SF, is there?
I also see an option in Slic3r to have a different speed for solid infills and top solid infills. Anything like that in SF? I think my prints could benefit from such options.
September 06, 2013 03:03PM
No it doesn't have either. It inserts solid layers when the slope exposes the infill by default. I think the Surrounding Angle option on the Fill tab influences that. I set it to the minimum, which is 30.

You will get better quality prints of you set the infill speed the same as the perimeter.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 19, 2013 11:15AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You will get better quality prints of you set the
> infill speed the same as the perimeter.

Bad news for me, what is the resason why? I usually set perimeter slower than infill (from 0.5 to 0.8 more or less) to print a little quicker…

François
October 06, 2013 02:04PM
You can increase the number of perimeters and also turn on infill in direction of bridges. (Will give You some surprises though)

www.reprapfordummies.net
IRC: #reprap on freenode.net (Action68)
[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login