Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burning boot-loader on 644p Sangiololu 1.3a

Posted by tncheck 
Burning boot-loader on 644p Sangiololu 1.3a
February 07, 2012 11:49PM
Hey all,

There are so many forums out there it is very difficult to determine what is the best way to burn the boot loader on the 644p chip. I have a working Sanigiololu 1.3a Mother board and my computer recognized by board through a USB, I just burned out my Chip so I had to get a new one and it didn't have the boat-loader on it.

That being said, what is the best way for a person to load this given the fact that I would have to buy any hardware if hardware is needed such as tinyusb, or what ever the program writers are. If it is possible to to buy anything so I am able to do it right away that would be the perfect way to do this. IF I have to buy software that isn't a big deal

Also I have working sprinter configuration.h.

Thanks in advance for the help all!
Re: Burning boot-loader on 644p Sangiololu 1.3a
February 09, 2012 12:23PM
You could get the USBtinyISP from Adafruit(kit) or an SMT version from Sparkfun. These are recognized by the arduino software and has simple to install drivers. You could also use the AVRISP MkII from Digikey/Mouser which is a little bit more expensive but very reliable.

I was wondering, how did you burn out your 644P chip?
February 10, 2012 02:53PM
Sorry for the slow response and I appreciate the help. I am still back to sqaure one.

I currently have (borrowed from work) an AVR ISP II

Two boards, one sang 1.2 and one sang 1.3 and I have a slip of ten 644p chips assuming that
I will go through a few before I figure this out.

I thought I was able to put the bootloader on a chip by downloading AVR Studio 5, opening the programmer, turned the speed down to 125k, located the 644p hex file and hit flash. IT seemed to go on fine. I noticed that the fuse values were not what the board. txt file says, but when I try putting those in nothing works. Also when I try to hit verify on the flash program it says that it expected my fuse to be something else, but it programs fine.

But after I loaded the flash I still wasn't able to communicate with Ardrino.

Any thougths as to why this would be? ANy help would be appreciated as I have no other diretion to go.

Oh and I burnt out my chip by accidentaly droping a small washer and it connected the possitive and negitive ends of my extruder and bed heaters, made a big spark and killed it.
February 10, 2012 03:11PM
I had a load of trouble burning mine too. I also used an avrispmkii. I am on my phone at the mo so can't say a lot, but here is where I blogged about how I managed it. hope there is something helpful in here: foraysinto3d.blogspot.com/2011/09/chapter-17-in-which-i-finally-burn.html?m=1
February 10, 2012 03:43PM
tncheck,

The AVR ISP mkII drivers from AVR studio doesnt play nice with AVRdude which arduino uses. I would suggest removing AVR Studio, and replace the AVRISP mkII drivers by those libusb drivers in the arduino folder. If you are using win7 64bit, search for a working driver on the internet.

Once you get that working, go back to Arduino, select your Sanguino board, then Burn boot loader using AVR ISP mkII. This will set the fuses required.
February 11, 2012 12:27AM
Lsutehall,

Wow thank you so much for putting together that blog. I was literally having the exact same problems as you. It seemed that my main problem/thing I was missing, was setting the filter in libusb. I had libusb installed, but the key was to set the filter up to recognize the chip. Once I did this I opened up ardrino and just selected the burn with avrisp ii and it worked right away. I probably spent 2 weeks trying to get this damn chip burned, and bricked two more along the way. My printer is now printing better than ever. I added a larger stepper for my y axis because it was a little to heavy to go to speeds such like 60mm/sec. I purchased a desktop robot from someone at work and interfaced the Mendel controls with it and now I can finally see awesome a solid machine frame works for these printer.

Thanks again have a good one!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login