Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Applied Motion stepper configuration

Posted by dhissink 
Applied Motion stepper configuration
November 04, 2012 09:15AM
Hi all,
I am building a printed 'eggbot' and want to use two steppers that i got recently. The steppers are made by applied motion products and have 8 wires. I can configure the stepper as unipolar, bipolar serial or bipolar parallel. What is the correct way of conficuration to connect them to polulu stepper dirvers?
Thanks for your help!
Dick
Re: Applied Motion stepper configuration
November 12, 2012 08:45PM
I have a little post on stepper wiring here: [ebldc.com]

I don't think I cover 8 wire steppers, but if you look at the 4 and the 6 wire configurations you will understand most of it. Basically, you have access to the 4 windings. Most of the stepper drivers out there will be for bipolar, so it is your choice whether you will want to wire them in parallel or in series. What do you get?

In parallel, the inductance and the motor resistance is reduced. Hence, you can move faster, but you loose some torque.

In series, your resistance and your inductance increase, so you will get more torque but will not be able to move as fast.

I imagine for an eggbot, either is fine. If it were something like a CNC router, I would recommend the series connection as you would prefer torque to speed.

PS A cool thing you can do with an 8 wire stepper is to use one winding for power and another winding for a sensor (something almost like a resolver). If done properly it can transform the stepper into a servo. That is way easier said than done, though. Just thought mentioning as it is a cool application.

JIQ
Re: Applied Motion stepper configuration
July 17, 2013 09:42AM
I wired my applied motion steppers as Bipolar series.

DJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login