Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some general motor questions

Posted by SamS 
Some general motor questions
September 29, 2013 10:49AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading it for quite some time building my Prusa i2 and everything has worked out wonderfully. As an 18 year old engineering student I have neither time nor money but somehow it came together in three weeks!

Anyway, I spent some extra money on parts that I knew I would keep as I transition to my next build. I found all the parts for $350 but put in an extra $100 on the bits that I knew I may need later, such as motors. I'm already looking at upgrading a bit- I have CNC access so i'll be doing something similar to the i3, except i'll be scaling it up a bit to try to get a little more than a cubic foot of print volume. My plans also include a heated enclosure so I think I can pull it off. But we'll see.

ANYWAY, here are my questions. I think I know the theoretical answer to most just doing the math but I would like to know what actually goes on from experience. I spent the most extra cash on steppers to get 76oz/in or about 54N/cm. They run at 4.2 V and suck up 1.5 amps. My power supply can handle everything. I'm running RAMPS 1.4.
What will be my limiting factor concerning speed? I can run the default printerface/slic3r settings without the pololu's getting hot at all. I think I remember them being rated for 2 amps, and if I can get a fan blowing over them will they be able to run fast?

Also if i'm increasing speed a little bit every print, say by 25mm, how will I know when I've gone too fast? Will it be print quality or will something blow? I'd like to find my speed limit. Thanks so much everyone!
Re: Some general motor questions
October 09, 2013 03:37PM
Limit will be the point at which you start skipping steps. Torque falls off with speed so at some point there will be skipped steps. You'll see it as a small shift from one layer to the other. Print quality will likely degrade smoothly as you speed up. That is if your extruder can keep up. Depending on your layer height you might start stripping the filament before you hit the speed wall.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login