Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connecting extruded aluminium?

Posted by Treito 
Re: Connecting extruded aluminium?
March 30, 2016 09:55PM
June 15, 2017 06:12AM
I have a welded iron cuboid that I got off as scrap from a local hardware store....they used it like a table(unable to post photos)...it's not very big but quite decent in size.but i guess I can get at least 35x35x35 volume out of it.....it does not wobble...
However I am concerned that how will I be able to align my mechanism accordingly.

My ideas.....shall I mill a metal plate for fixing a corexy mechanism (stacked belt) and attach it to the top and have the build plate on z axis (I guess I will use smooth rods for that to save money to buy profile guides for the xy movement and also to the fact that the cuboid does not have support shafts on sides)

Please enlighten me on how to use it perfectly.....I am really impressed by its rigidity and does not wish to let it go waste.
June 25, 2017 09:37PM
sudarshan
I have a welded iron cuboid that I got off as scrap from a local hardware store....they used it like a table(unable to post photos)...it's not very big but quite decent in size.but i guess I can get at least 35x35x35 volume out of it.....it does not wobble...
However I am concerned that how will I be able to align my mechanism accordingly.

My ideas.....shall I mill a metal plate for fixing a corexy mechanism (stacked belt) and attach it to the top and have the build plate on z axis (I guess I will use smooth rods for that to save money to buy profile guides for the xy movement and also to the fact that the cuboid does not have support shafts on sides)

Please enlighten me on how to use it perfectly.....I am really impressed by its rigidity and does not wish to let it go waste.

[reprap.org]

minimum triple lead screws, minimum dual rails (or rods) for z and you'll do fine. a metal plate sounds awesome and a lot less hassle, just make absolutely sure that the alignments are good. when you get extrusion cut to length you can at least adjust it slightly through the fixings: in this case you don't have that option, and the cube is highly unlikely to be true-to-square. so you'll need to take that into account when attaching the plate and the z mechanism.

also i heard that aluminium and steel do not mix: some sort of chemical reaction that oxidises the aluminium extremely rapidly: a problem i learned of from a mechanic who was restoring an astom martin DB5. something you should research carefully.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login