Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Carteasian top speed?

Posted by aamcle 
Carteasian top speed?
February 17, 2023 06:27AM
I built a printer using 3030 and Makerbot kinematics a simple Carteasian bot, I designed it my self did the CAD and printed the parts. This was the first time I'd done anything like that and although it works as expected I lost a lot of bed space and I put the electronics in what I now find to be the most inconvenient place possible.

So I want to do a rebuild, my choices are to keep the very stable Carteasian setup redesigning it to save some more bed space and move the electronics or rebuild as CoreXY which would print faster.

What I would like advice about is a likely top print speed (direct drive preferred to bowden) of a Carteasian printer based on 3030 extrusion?

I realise it less than CoreXY.

Thanks All.

aamcle
Re: Carteasian top speed?
March 19, 2024 11:40PM
Hi!

The top speed is far more complex to define than you probably think.
It has nothing to do with extrusions or kinematic but solely with moving mass and velocity.
You want to minimize the first and maximize the latter. Several design mantras can be derived from that.

For high acceleration you need low moving masses.
For high acceleration you need strong motors.
For low moving masses you need as little components on your moving axes as possible (e. g. no motor which is why corexy or H-Bot and such have an advantage)
For high velocity you need fast motors (high rpm)

You can go much more into detail here.
But as I see you already have a design and want to know it's max speed. A good guess is to take the heaviest moving axis and calculate it's speed, which I assume you want to know acceleration and velocity max possible.
Using the torque of your motors at a certain rpm you can calculate the acceleration via the pulleys functional diameter and the moving masses (everything that slides or rotates, including the belts). The according velocity can be calculated using the circumference of the pulley and the rpm.

Withoit more information about your mechanic system one can only guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login