Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Poster for conferences and exhibitions

Posted by Adrian Bowyer 
Poster for conferences and exhibitions
April 19, 2007 06:40AM
I've done a draft of a poster for use at conferences and exhibitions.
It's at [reprap.org] in the
Presentations and Talks section.

Improve at will!

After a few rounds of that I'll print one A0, laminate it and send it in
a roll to Forrest for his upcoming trip.

--

Best wishes

Adrian

Dr Adrian Bowyer
[staff.bath.ac.uk]
[reprap.org]
Re: Poster for conferences and exhibitions
April 19, 2007 01:07PM
Took a look. First off, I don't know how big this poster is supposed to be. If it is something like an A1 or A2, though, I wonder, if the amount of information that you put on it is so much to have made the print, especially on the right-hand lower side, too small to be read well from more than 3-4 feet away.

The pic of Darwin or A.R.N.I.E., I'm not sure which one it is, but I'm guessing Darwin is perfect. I think that perhaps the pic of Vik's side by side extruders is perhaps a bit too obscure for the casual viewer.

As an alternative to think about try this. Big pic of Darwin.

On top in big print "DARWIN"

"On bottom, in slightly smaller print but still big.

"Tired of going to Walmart and buying Chinese imports? Darwin can make a cup for your coffee ... and the coffee machine you brewed it in. When it's not doing things like that for you it can make a copies of itself for your friend."

Then in italics bold print

"Creating wealth without money" or "The revolution is scheduled for 2008"
[reprap.org]

The left here has a huge animus against Walmart and this would be a great way to get them to pay attention. I'm guessing that the Maker Faire is going to be chock full of left coast type seeing that it's in San Mateo and is looking at the hacker community. The other Maker Faire is in Austin, another leftist island in a sea of Texas conservatism.

Zach might want to see about doing the Austin Maker Faire. I'm guessing that he's going to have something working well enough to show by then, possibly even a Darwin. :-D
April 19, 2007 01:11PM
About Walmart. Personally, I see places like Walmart, Sam's Clubs and Costco as perfect distributors for polymer filament feedstock once self replicating 3D printers catch on. They make huge orders of product which means that they can get really cheap prices/lb and they have arguably the most efficient supply chain and product distribution on the planet.
April 23, 2007 12:24PM
I was going to make it A0, which is quite big (the whole thing is
legible even at A4). Pic is of ARNIE - to be replaced by D. asap.

From what you say I think we need two: "commercial" and "academic" (the
latter being the one I did, and being a bit more restrained...) Anyone
want to do the commercial version?

Best wishes

Adrian

Dr Adrian Bowyer
[staff.bath.ac.uk]
[reprap.org]

RepRap Forum Mailer wrote:
> Author: Forrest Higgs
> Username: Forrest Higgs (206-55-252-246.adsl.sta.mbay.net)
> Subject: Re: Poster for conferences and exhibitions
> Forum: Developers
> Link: [forums.reprap.org]
> Approved: Yes
>
> Took a look. First off, I don't know how big this poster is supposed to be. If it is something like an A1 or A2, though, I wonder, if the amount of information that you put on it is so much to have made the print, especially on the right-hand lower side, too small to be read well from more than 3-4 feet away.
>
> The pic of Darwin or A.R.N.I.E., I'm not sure which one it is, but I'm guessing Darwin is perfect. I think that perhaps the pic of Vik's side by side extruders is perhaps a bit too obscure for the casual viewer.
>
> As an alternative to think about try this. Big pic of Darwin.
>
>
> On top in big print "DARWIN"
>
> "On bottom, in slightly smaller print but still big.
>
> "Tired of going to Walmart and buying Chinese imports? Darwin can make a cup for your coffee ... and the coffee machine you brewed it in. When it's not doing things like that for you it can make a copies of itself for your friend."
>
>
> Then in italics bold print
>
> "Creating wealth without money" or "The revolution is scheduled for 2008"
> [reprap.org]
>
> The left here has a huge animus against Walmart and this would be a great way to get them to pay attention. I'm guessing that the Maker Faire is going to be chock full of left coast type seeing that it's in San Mateo and is looking at the hacker community. The other Maker Faire is in Austin, another leftist island in a sea of Texas conservatism.
>
> Zach might want to see about doing the Austin Maker Faire. I'm guessing that he's going to have something working well enough to show by then, possibly even a Darwin. :-D
> _______________________________________________
> Developers mailing list
> Developers@reprap.org
> [reprap.org]

--

April 23, 2007 12:30PM
A0 will be super. The legibility question was one of if we were talking about someone several meters away being able to read it. I see what you're doing now, though.

Keep well,

Forrest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2007 12:45PM by Forrest Higgs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login