Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

STL files / Subversion?

Posted by ZachHoeken 
STL files / Subversion?
April 20, 2007 10:16AM
Hey,

I was looking through Subversion for the Darwin parts, and I couldnt find the .stl or .aoi files for any of the cartesian robot. I understand that the darwin parts may not have been converted to .aoi format yet, but could we at least get the .stl files added?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to go shopping around for some commercial FDM shops to take the load off of Adrian. Most of them want the .stl files to estimate pricing. There are quite a few shops online that do 3d printing, so i'm hoping we can find one that wont want a cc of flesh for a cc of ABS.
Re: STL files / Subversion?
April 20, 2007 10:40AM
Hate to tell you this, but most prototyping shops charge about $30/cubic inch for prototypes made with an FDM machine.

I talked to several people in the business at the ETech conference. They usually had about $75-100K tied up in their machine, had several employees and were being sold feedstock for about $4.50/cubic inch.

Given that environment, the prices certainly aren't surprising.

You'll see lower prices but when you check almost inevitably they're using a Z-Corp machine that's making things out of something like starch stabilised with glue. sad smiley
April 20, 2007 01:37PM
yeah, i was looking around and so far its absolutely outrageous. prices for the extruder (which is the only one with STL files) are ranging from $100 - $500. i'm going to see if i can find someone through dorkbot with access that could cut me a deal / do it in off hours.
April 20, 2007 01:55PM
LOL! Yeah, well, there's a reason why the world needs a cheap 3D printer. Now you know what it is. :p
April 20, 2007 01:59PM
The way things are going I might be able to print you a Mk 1 AEM extruder parts kit in a few weeks. You'll need to drill the holes in it for the bolts and such, but the rest of it should be okay. It uses 1/4-40 threaded rod to pump the filament and a sawed open coupling nut as a motor coupling. I have spare stock of that stuff and could probably throw that stuff in if that would help your situation.
April 20, 2007 02:18PM
cool. i would definitely be down to assemble one if you print it off for me. adrian sent me some parts for the extruder already, so i do have one fully assembled.

the thing i really need are the parts for darwin. i'm hoping someone on dorkbot has access to a university machine they could squeeze a print in for me on.
April 20, 2007 02:20PM
Ah! I'd forgotten that Adrian had already sent you a Mk 2 parts set.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login