Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap Host software over USB on Android

Posted by WiESELMan 
Re: Reprap Host software over USB on Android
November 21, 2013 04:23AM
@woo: great. I have a cheap 7" tablet with dedicated charging port (Trekstor Surftab Breeze 7) which works good.

Join the Google+ Community for news, problem reports or feature requests about GCode Simulator & Printer :
[plus.google.com]

bye

Mathias
woo
November 21, 2013 04:43AM
what are minimum hardware req. for tablet?
November 21, 2013 07:52AM
The current hardware req. are not very high, it works with single core CPU and 512MB Ram.
But if you want to load larger gcode files (e.g. >500000 lines) >= 1GB RAM would be better.
USB OTG must be supported for sure. Bluetooth print works as well but Bluetooth has a higher latency and therefore cannot do very high speed prints.
Some devices seem to have a higher USB IO latency which can cause problems, but unfortunately you don't know this upfront when buying a device.

Having said this, its always better to have a more powerful device for future features (e.g. I might add web cam streaming during print similar to Octoprint)

cu

Mathias
November 22, 2013 07:38PM
Anyway I can get a copy as I would really like to test it out on my galaxy tab 2. Let me know as it would be nice to be able to try out something new.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
November 23, 2013 05:56AM
It is public available on Google Play Store:

Try out the free version first
[play.google.com]

If the basic controls work and you want to do full printing you can install the full version
[play.google.com]

Homepage: [www.dietzm.de]
A2
November 23, 2013 05:26PM
@ mdietz

I loaded the free version of your GCode Simulator & Printer onto my HTC 3D phone, looks good.

Will it support the new Smoothie Board?
If not can you add it?
[smoothieware.org]
woo
November 24, 2013 05:41AM
A2
@ mdietz

I loaded the free version of your GCode Simulator & Printer onto my HTC 3D phone, looks good.

Will it support the new Smoothie Board?
If not can you add it?
[smoothieware.org]

thats not important to host, just to firmware...
November 24, 2013 09:13AM
Raspberry pi with octoprint and WiFi adapter. Add a shared folder on a pi a ready to go OTA pro yet system that needs no coding or reinventing the wheel. It can also do time laps photography too. Darn sight cheaper than a android phone. £40 or so.
November 24, 2013 09:36AM
@A2
If the smoothieboard supports serial over usb then it should work.
I can't try it out since i do not have one.

@callumburns
I doubt that. I bought a cheap 7" tablet for 50€. If you order a 7" lcd panel for rasp pi it is much more expensive.
Without lcd you still need a pc to controll it.
A2
November 24, 2013 04:30PM
@ mdietz
Smoothie Board specifications, will this work?

USB provides the main means of communication with the host computer. The connector is mini-USB.

Composite USB Mass Storage + Serial interface to host

USB2 Composite device : shows to the computer as both a Serial device, and a Mass Storage device ( exposing the SD-card ), à-la mbed.
[smoothieware.org]
[mbed.org]
November 24, 2013 05:04PM
I don't know. Try it.
November 24, 2013 07:34PM
@ mdietz

You don't need the screen at all as its redundant! You just slice to folder go into octoprint select print and that's you. You no longer need a computer on. The computer could also be on the other side of the world if needed. I wouldnt dare to trust one of these naff cheap tablets doing something as important as 3D printing! Their cheap for a reason.
November 25, 2013 02:43PM
@Callumburns

Sure, I have a rasp pi as well. I know that you don't need to keep the PC on for unattended printing.
But when you want to check the remaining print time or do any manual action (interrupt the print, pause to change filament, ..) you need it. You can't even start a print without it.

Nevermind, I agree that for some people this is sufficient. I prefer to see things like remaining print time, speed, temperature during print and to interrupt, heat up, speedup print without turning on my PC.

cu

Mathias
November 25, 2013 07:25PM
In fact you don't need a pc if you have a device with WiFi and a web browser you are all set. Failing that a really cheap LCD screen will give you that info. Each to there own.

mdietz
@Callumburns

Sure, I have a rasp pi as well. I know that you don't need to keep the PC on for unattended printing.
But when you want to check the remaining print time or do any manual action (interrupt the print, pause to change filament, ..) you need it. You can't even start a print without it.

Nevermind, I agree that for some people this is sufficient. I prefer to see things like remaining print time, speed, temperature during print and to interrupt, heat up, speedup print without turning on my PC.

cu

Mathias
November 28, 2013 01:11PM
Anyhow, as of today more than 1100 installs of GCode Simulator for Android proof that there is a demand for printing from Android devices.

Mathias

----------------------------------------------------------------
Join the Google+ Community for news and discussions about GCode Simulator
[plus.google.com]
December 04, 2013 12:49PM
Mathias, you are correct. I'm currently building a Rostock to join my Mendel, and I am planning to run it with a 4GB Android tablet. I really like seeing what's going on and being able to check settings while I'm printing. Just trusting an SD card from start to finish is not my thing. I'm too nosy, I guess smiling smiley Planning to run your software, I appreciate your efforts in this!
December 12, 2013 05:37PM
Hi A2,

regarding Smoothieboard support:
The old version of GCode Simulator & Printer did not recognize the Smoothieboard because the vendorID/productID was missing.
I have added that to GCode Simulator & Printer Version V1.42 and now it should work well with the smoothieboard. thumbs up

cu

Mathias
A2
December 13, 2013 03:55AM
Awesome!
December 13, 2013 05:42PM
Printrun command line tools work under Android. Install python and enjoy smiling smiley
March 20, 2014 03:13PM
This is my attempt to create an android app to control my printers. I used the USB Serial Monitor Lite (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.ksksue.app.terminal) from ksksue (https://github.com/ksksue) as basis, I tried doing something like Pronterface but without the functionality of host. From my point of view is not worth printing via USB if I can print from SD card and avoid problems. Is a learning process to me, I would say I know more about how an Android app is made than programming in java... this is also my first project on github.

https://github.com/bernabap/br.reprap.app.terminal

The purpose of this application is to be used with cellphone, to start/pause prints from SD card, and be able to do maintenance of the printer without the need for LCD/encoder or PC.

Any help/tip/suggestion is welcome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2014 03:14PM by bernabap.
Attachments:
open | download - USB-OTG Reprap Utility.apk (186.7 KB)
open | download - Screenshot_2014-01-19-21-57-34.png (308.5 KB)
open | download - Screenshot_2014-01-19-21-58-06.png (129.1 KB)
open | download - Screenshot_2014-01-19-21-58-40.png (216.3 KB)
open | download - Screenshot_2014-01-19-21-59-21.png (175.9 KB)
open | download - Screenshot_2014-01-19-21-59-48.png (164.4 KB)
open | download - Screenshot_2014-01-19-22-00-14.png (138.1 KB)
March 27, 2014 05:16PM
I tried to intall apk and got syntax error.
LG-p500
android 2.3.3
March 30, 2014 12:32PM
Min Android version to install this apk is 4.0 (sdk14). Even if you have added USB-OTG support to your Gingerbread kernel most OTG applications uses the sdk 13 as minimum android version.
April 01, 2014 11:12AM
karabas
Printrun command line tools work under Android. Install python and enjoy smiling smiley
That's a nice start.
What I've got so far from an hour or so of reading around is that Printrun's GUI doesn't work on Android because wxPython isn't supported there yet. What I'm a bit unclear on is how everyone seems to be referring to running host software specifically on Android, and not just ARM devices intended for it - so I hope someone can answer this for me: would it be any easier to run Printrun on an ARM tablet that has been booted into Debian, or is the processor architecture itself the main stumbling block here?

[engineeringourfreedom.blogspot.co.uk]
July 19, 2014 12:22PM
@bernabap

great work. i tested on my android phone and it works perfectly. Only request i have is that is it possible to add a separate setting for the step/mm for z axis?

thanks
September 04, 2014 05:49PM
I can control my Ormerod 3D printer (with Duet electronics) from my Android phone just by entering the printer's IP address in Chrome. The only disadvantage is that the current web interface is designed for larger screens, so scrolling is required. One day I may do a mobile-friendly version of the web interface.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login