Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MakerSlide Alternative, PTFE based rail

Posted by cr3a7ure 
MakerSlide Alternative, PTFE based rail
November 05, 2013 06:32AM
I made this [www.thingiverse.com], that allows to use the 20x20 aluminium profile as rail for X and Y axis. It uses 4 ptfe tubes 6OD (call it bowden for 3mm filament). I made the carriage to work with Simonious X-ends. I believe that it works well from what i see, but time will tell. Considering that i was printing with PLA bushings for many months with correct dimensions, this is an upgrade. When i'll finish with my upgrade i'll document it further.
Re: MakerSlide Alternative, PTFE based rail
November 06, 2013 03:37PM
That looks very nice. I have been thinking of something similar. I assume you are using unanodized alu? Have you noticed any wear?
Re: MakerSlide Alternative, PTFE based rail
November 10, 2013 05:04AM
Mallgan.O
That looks very nice. I have been thinking of something similar. I assume you are using unanodized alu? Have you noticed any wear?

I suppose yes, since my profiles are low cost. As i updated the description on thingiverse, there is wear because of the ABS i used to print the carriage. After a 2 hours print i found some ABS dust on the profile. That is because i used more than needed tolerances when i printed this test carriage and the fact that extruder's mount is in front of the profile making it sagging. To fix it asap, i used some ptfe tape (plumber's) on the up-front line to lower the friction. Seems better but i'm waiting the print to end for conclusions.

With current design, it's better to split the carriage from the profile mount and print that in PLA with smaller tolerance.
The other idea is to move the extrude's mount down, in order to change the center of the weight force applied on the profile mount.
The y mount i suppose they work better since it's they mount right under the bed, although i thought about mounting the bed on the sides of the Mmax build.
In a week or so i may have done some progress.

I consider this an upgrade in comparison with the cheap lm8uu, as the cost is low and the movement is smoother and much quieter. You can note that in the last video printing a cube where the x,y movements are easily distinguished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2013 05:08AM by cr3a7ure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login