Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tilting 3D Printer for 90 deg overhangs?

Posted by Fabricate 
Re: Tilting 3D Printer for 90 deg overhangs?
June 19, 2014 06:51AM
Just wanted to inform you that I had success with a 4th axis upgrade for a prusa mendel. See the results here.
June 21, 2014 02:13PM
Wonderful work Fabricate!

You have demonstrated value in a 4, 5, or 6 degree of freedom head. More significantly, you have a proof of concept that actually works. You have been able to circumvent the '5DOF slicer problem' in your proof of concept by simply manually writing the gcode. Well done!

I have been working on this concept for the last 6 months or so and while my hardware might be a bit more 'refined', my machine sits idle because I don't have the controls setup to drive the machine (note, that my construction is based on the delta design and therefore might not be as 'refined' in your eyes smiling smiley ). I am now working toward a construction that is optimized for the community to be able to be easily reproduced and to then be 'optimized' in the wild.

It sounds like there are different camps attacking this problem in different ways. Open source evolution. Wonderful stuff. I only hope that we can continue to support each other and build a community around multi axis printing rather than build walls (and not to imply that I have seen ANY of that here!). To put my money where my mouth is, I plan to 'release' what I have been working on in the coming weeks and get the community involved. I will start here with this thread.

What a wonderful community... and time to live... very inspiring stuff!
A2
June 21, 2014 04:24PM
Very cool Thorp thumbs up

Probably going to be some new opportunities for hot end designs, and fancy gimbals.
June 21, 2014 05:23PM
A2, definitely opportunities aplenty, both in hardware and software smiling smiley

The hotend heater block and cooling fan have to stay inside a cone formed by revolving a 45* degree line around the the filament axis.

Then there is that whole slicing thing....
I will let people smarter than me solve that one! winking smiley
A2
June 21, 2014 09:18PM
When you get the code where you like it, it would be really neat if it could be further developed, and applied to 3d printed mini mills with a 4th axis.

G0704 Quarter Scale 3D Printed Model
[www.youtube.com]

He has larger 3d printed models of mini mills, but in this video he's showing the head rotating.

Possibly V-slots could be cut up, and reconfigured into V-ways or boxed ways.

Here is a video of larger 3d printed mini mills:

G0704 Scale Model vs Tormach 1100
[www.youtube.com]

I was looking for CNC software for wire EDM, and ran across his site selling software for mills and lathes.
[stcnc.tripod.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2014 09:19PM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_608 Jun. 21 21.08.jpg (69.5 KB)
A2
June 22, 2014 03:03AM
Just to get people thinking of other uses for this, a couple more tangents to consider:

Water jet cutting:
[www.youtube.com]

... and welding out of position.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 03:03AM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_609 Jun. 22 02.49.jpg (48.3 KB)
open | download - ScreenHunter_610 Jun. 22 02.52.jpg (59 KB)
June 25, 2014 04:32AM
Hi Thorp,

Thorp
Wonderful work Fabricate!

You have demonstrated value in a 4, 5, or 6 degree of freedom head. More significantly, you have a proof of concept that actually works. You have been able to circumvent the '5DOF slicer problem' in your proof of concept by simply manually writing the gcode. Well done!

Thank you!

Thorp
I have been working on this concept for the last 6 months or so and while my hardware might be a bit more 'refined', my machine sits idle because I don't have the controls setup to drive the machine (note, that my construction is based on the delta design and therefore might not be as 'refined' in your eyes smiling smiley ). I am now working toward a construction that is optimized for the community to be able to be easily reproduced and to then be 'optimized' in the wild.

Nice to hear that others are working on the overhang problem, too! I was also thinking about the delta setup as the feature is already implied somehow! How much tilt can you achieve? Can you share some pictures of your setup?

Thorp
It sounds like there are different camps attacking this problem in different ways. Open source evolution. Wonderful stuff. I only hope that we can continue to support each other and build a community around multi axis printing rather than build walls (and not to imply that I have seen ANY of that here!). To put my money where my mouth is, I plan to 'release' what I have been working on in the coming weeks and get the community involved. I will start here with this thread.

For this reason I am sharing my findings with you winking smiley. And I love open source, that is why I am involved here cool smiley!

At the moment the setup has some drawbacks ( limited build envelope for example ) and is limited to one specific nozzle(length), but I can put everything in the Wiki if you want to.
June 25, 2014 04:53AM
@A2: these are nice examples!

I would love to see an open source 5 axes waterjet cutter! This would be an awesome project!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login