Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface often need to reconnect.

Posted by sheepguo 
Pronterface often need to reconnect.
January 06, 2014 03:10AM
I use the software of pronterface in 3D printer. Pronterface is used to connect computer with control circuit, sending commands to control circuit with USB cable. However, the connection often lost and I need to reconnect again. Is this caused by the reason that the USB cable is unstable? The Melzi is equipped with SD card, is it useful because the USB connection is unstable?
Re: Pronterface often need to reconnect.
January 06, 2014 06:59PM
Do you have the auto-reset jumper on? I had problems with USB stability when I left that on. I have had fewer problems now
that I leave the jumper off except when burning new firmware. Also, inserted/ejecting the SD card will reset the USB link - this seems
to be a 'known' issue, although I have not seen a good description of the underlying cause.

Roy
January 06, 2014 08:47PM
inserting/ejecting the SD card will reset the LCD display, not the USB connection.

What exactly are your symptoms? If the USB is really disconnecting (virtually anyway) then most likely you cannot simply reconnect and go on as if nothing happened. The host and firmware will need to synch up again and by that time resuming the print will be a real challenge. Are you seeing these lost connections during a print? How do you recover from them?

How long is your USB cable? Is it high quality? Does it have ferrite chokes on it? Is it near anything that could cause interference, such as a motor (yes even a stepper) or a fluorescent light? Is this a high-static area?
January 11, 2014 08:27PM
Thank you, now we finally solved our problem by accident.
January 13, 2014 02:37AM
AND...? What was the cause of the problem?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login