Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

many motors off one ramps board hot smiley

Posted by me3dmt 
many motors off one ramps board hot smiley
January 20, 2014 07:35AM
Hi
Currently developing a reprap/repstrap of our own design. From what we understand we need an arduino and ramps board to run the stepper motors . however we wish to use at least 6/7 motors. What kind of configuration would we need and what considerations would we have to make (eg PSU/drivers)?

Please let us know if this request is a bit vague and if anything needs clarifying.

Thanks
Re: many motors off one ramps board hot smiley
January 20, 2014 08:20AM
There are 6 slots for steppers on the Rumba board - [www.reprap.org]
You will also need stepper drivers - A4988 Pololu or DRV 8825 Designed by Kliment Pololu compatible drivers
January 20, 2014 03:22PM
How many independent axes are there? A lot of Prusa printers run 5 motors on 4 stepper controllers. (1X, 1Y, 2Z, 1E). Power you'll have to figure out based on size and number of motors and anticipated loads.
January 20, 2014 11:53PM
Dale Dunn
How many independent axes are there? A lot of Prusa printers run 5 motors on 4 stepper controllers. (1X, 1Y, 2Z, 1E). Power you'll have to figure out based on size and number of motors and anticipated loads.

And don't trust the amperage rating on cheap PSUs. Buy more than what you need. I would say at least 30%.
February 26, 2014 08:38PM
You can use the azteeg x3 for 7 motors, but the new azteeg x3 pro has 8 slots build in already.

Check out my vid here if you want to know more. (I'm not affiliated with panucatt) : [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 08:38PM by Tired2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login