Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CW/CCW Drivers instead Step/Dir, in Marlin firmware

Posted by Gustavo Tenuto 
CW/CCW Drivers instead Step/Dir, in Marlin firmware
August 19, 2014 11:43AM
Hi, I have stepper drivers whit pins CW+- and CCW+- instead the standard pololus Step/Dir pins... now need to know if anybody change some lines in marlin to work in this mode?.
Actually if I conect to arduino and run repetier, the motors move in the same direction ever. If change the pins manually runs in the other direction...
Thanks
Re: CW/CCW Drivers instead Step/Dir, in Marlin firmware
August 19, 2014 01:19PM
I'm having trouble finding the documentation, but I did this with an EZI-Step MNB-42L awhile ago.

The machine has since been dismantled, but I am looking at the drive right now.
I have the CW- and CCW- pig tailed together, those will go to the ground pin on your axis.
CW+ goes to step and CCW+ goes to direction.

I just wanted to let you know that this is possible without a firmware modification.

have fun!
August 20, 2014 03:40PM
Hi, joeb1, thanks for the reply... In my case, all the drivers have only 1 pin CW and 1 pin CCW only... if I conect to arduino and program directly works fine in both directions, but in Marlin firmware the Step/Dir metod dont work... beacouse the drivers have 2 pulse 1 for each direction, and in Marlin have 1 pulse and 1 digital (step/dir).
I read in this forum someone doing the necesary code change in Marlin to work correctly but do not show the code !.
woo
August 21, 2014 06:18AM
just connect them and they are working.

i had tb6560 and tb6600 connected, they are all working without any problems.
August 21, 2014 10:13AM
In marlin, board 33, use pin 54 and 55 (A0 and A1) to control Step and Dir... If I connect the CW to pin 54 and CCW to pin55, and GND, allways turn to the same way in repetier host. If I change the pins (CW to pin 55 and CCW to pin 54) allways turn to the other way... thats my problems. I have 100 profesional stepper drivers like this and need to use to control 3d Printer.

This topic was discused in 2013, and find the solution, but dont publish the results...

[forums.reprap.org]

If anybody con help please.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 10:17AM by Gustavo Tenuto.
August 21, 2014 01:52PM
I am not sure if software modification is the best course as you probably will need to modify most of stepper.cpp and then you will be stuck with same firmware as new firmware will require same modifications done to it.
I got idea about hardware modification, but I am not sure if it is possible as am not that good with electronics. Basically use logic gates to switch signals, this way no firmware modification would be needed.

Basically if DIR 0 then Step signal goes to CW, if DIR 1 STEP goes to CCW.
August 21, 2014 02:03PM
Endlane, that's exactly what I was thinking in the last hour. I found the HD74LS04 and 08 gates NOT and AND... I will try this, if it work I publish the result. Thanks a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 02:29PM by Gustavo Tenuto.
August 23, 2014 07:10PM
Well, it work perfect in all of the profesional drivers I have. The most important thing is the firmware are the same, and can use it whit no change. This is the electronics I use.

2 HD74HC08P:
This chip is a 4 AND logic gate
1 SN74HC04N:
This chip es a 6 INVERTER logic gate.

Each AND chip control 2 Drivers, and 1 INVERTER chip, control up to 6 Drivers.

In my case, I use 3 Drivers in the X,Y,Z axis for the CNC 3D printer, and 2 Driver for 2 Extruders.
The Z axis, have 2 Stepper motor.
The dimension of the 3D printer area is 402mm X 402mm Y 450mm Z.

Thanks a lot.
August 24, 2014 04:06AM
Endlane
I am not sure if software modification is the best course as you probably will need to modify most of stepper.cpp and then you will be stuck with same firmware as new firmware will require same modifications done to it.

That's why you're ask not to fork projects, but to actually contribute to them.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login