Slic3r and BFB 3000 plus
January 06, 2015 10:25AM
Hi all,

I know this might be the wrong forum for this post but i couldn't seem to post in the RichRap blog for some reason on - [richrap.blogspot.com] Sorry. . .

I wonder if someone could help me or send me in the right direction.

I have a BFB 3000 plus printer and am wanting to get it running with Slic3r. I have been using it with Axon 2 but have found that it does battle to print some parts and from reading online it seems that it is Axon that is the problem.

I have done some searching online and have not found any info on how to set up Slic3r to work with the 3000 plus. I'm not sure it is possible but hoping so otherwise it might be worth putting a new control board on the BFB which will work with Slic3r.

Any info would be great, thanks in advance.

Tristan.
Re: Slic3r and BFB 3000 plus
January 09, 2015 03:04PM
Hi Tristan.
I have built a prusa i3 and I use an arduino 2650 and a ramps 4.1 nema 17 steppers with 4988 drivers .I've used slic3r but like cura much better. Check also matter hackers matter control. Might help
January 09, 2015 03:57PM
The problem with proprietary machines is the entire build unless you can use another open source program I just read that you may be stuck with their language alone build an fdm from open source don't buy
January 10, 2015 12:20PM
Hi phobos,

Thanks so much for your response and info. I will definaltly look into replacing the control board with an Arduino setup like yours. . . It seems to be the best way to go.

I personally did not buy the printer and would definately have built one if i were to have one of my own. The BFB printer was baught second hand by someone who is trying to start a shared work space / work shop. He (nor I) knew much about 3d printers at the time and knowledge on them is kind of limited hear in South Africa. I offered to try and get it working reliably for him and have been battleing to say the least. I have not found their support that helpfull either. So i think as you suggested, the best way to go is use open source electronics and i'll just keep the printers physical assembley as we have it as it is pretty solid so makes sense to use it.

Have you got any suggestions as to where is could find some good info on setting up the electronics. I have got some electronic and arduino experience so that should help.

I will also look into maybe rather using cura as you mentionsed - i've got a lot to learn!

Thanks again.

Tristan.
January 10, 2015 05:40PM
It is great to hear back from you so quickly Tristan. I am more than happy to provide all of my build and knowledge as this is a testament to the reprap legacy. I would like to first share that I have been printing with a product called t-glase. It is food safe material and sanitized as it is building the print. Meaning that you may use it for making cups plates forks chopsticks right away...here is a link [reprap.org] to the place in which I built my own . this has diagrams and information about prusa i3 it is the most effective to date. Do you have a computer of your own? As you will need to download many files in the order provided by the Web site it is very important to read all that you can I will answer your questions as need ed
January 11, 2015 02:41PM
Hi Phobos,

Thank you for your input and info! It will be great to be able to bounce questions off you with the conversion. I just checked out the t-glase website - it looks like a real awesome fillament - looks like it is relatively new? It will probably take a while for it to reach the south african supplier though. Or do you know if the supplier you got it from ships internationally? I will definately check the link out (reprap.org)! Yes i do have my own pc so downloading files etc is not a probem. . . .

Thanks again for everything.

I'm looking forward to getting started on this!

Stay well and speak soon.

Tristan.
January 11, 2015 07:19PM
I am ready when you are. Tglase will help people like you and I change the poverish world around us I hope that you can help those in South Africa who at work shops, help to better the lives of themselves and others .once we get you up and going I would like to donate some of this filament to you under a condition that you would supply some of the poverish with food utensils made of the substance As a way to forward a selfless legacy started by the rep rap community, as I Have chosen to help you. Providing proof of this will only encourage my group to provide you with better means to help you as an individual in other interests of your choosing. I will provide proof that I am a real person as you must do in return for us as these trades can become a subject of issue looking forward to hearing from you.
Tristan.
January 13, 2015 04:53AM
Hi Phobos, thats awesome thanks. I'm keen to chat more about what we can do. One of the key ideas of this shared work shop is to train / teach skills to people. I'll get back to you soon hopefully, once i get started on the conversion. I first need to start sourcing the electronics etc. Keep well and speak soon.
January 15, 2015 02:47PM
Awesome. I've found that China has cheap electronics that work under specifications as long as you inform the manufacturer of your power needs remember to refer to your stepper motors for what kind of drivers you might need. Nema 17 stepper motors require 4988 drivers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login