Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D printed icing on a wedding cake?

Posted by o_lampe 
3D printed icing on a wedding cake?
May 25, 2015 04:10AM
Hi,
I was wondering, if anyone has tried to print with sugar-gel to create unique icing-figures?

Imagine bride and broom on the weddingcake are lookalikes of the real ones. Or something funny, like Homer & Marge grinning smiley
I thought, a powder(sugar) printer and an extruder, that bonds the powder with colored sugargel, would end up in a million dollar business winking smiley

Or gingerbread hearts with a customized writing/picture on it... ( could be done by a modified FDM printer )
-Olaf
Re: 3D printed icing on a wedding cake?
May 25, 2015 10:19AM
Barcelona is one place where active development into 3D printing food has been taking place. Yes, 3D printed chocolates and cake decoration have been experimented with, I am almost certain there were some actual machines built here, but I am not aware of any commercial success story for 3D printed food. Imo that is one possible factor holding back further development in the field.
Perhaps we are not there yet, the idea of 3D printed food is still a little bit ahead of our time for the larger public.
VDX
Re: 3D printed icing on a wedding cake?
May 25, 2015 04:55PM
... printing with icing/sugar-gel was common with the fab@home-printers and can be done with a dispenser cartouche on every RepRap-style printer with the normal software ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login