Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replace table with a convayor belt

Posted by Zerobotman 
Replace table with a convayor belt
January 21, 2011 08:49AM
so here's my idea. i was thinking of ways to make a reprap print more of it's own parts and here's what i've come up with. rather then use a table to print linked tracks which would still work on rails but would have a bit more functionality as well as the ability to self replicate. what i am thinking is that the reprap would print tank tracks that would link together with a pin, sort of like bike chain and would overlap on the upword facing side to create a flat surface sort of like a vehicle's track. here are the pros and cons i can see of this approach. note i have never owned a reprap so i don't know how effective this could be

Pros:
- track segments could be printed by reprap
- would allow for mass production as the convayor could dump completed parts into a bin
- in addition to dumping good parts in one bin the system could sort out bad parts into another bin with further development
- could allow for a larger surface on it's axis
- could be less expensive then metal components
- could easily use the same electronics (steppers could drive belt, sensors could read gaps in the track)

cons

- may be less reliable then a stable platform
- may also be less accurate
- may be hard to print the parts accurately
- will likely need modified programming

anyway just a brainfart so maybe someone else can figure it out better
Re: Replace table with a convayor belt
January 21, 2011 10:36AM
I think the first truly successful raft-less automated build platform will be a replacable one. I.E. you have a stack of ten plates with a Kapton sheet stuck to one side. It ejects it's old print bed and grabs a new one. Every two or three days you have to knock off the finished parts and return the plates to the "clean" stack. (return them to the bottom of the stack to keep wear even. "Always rotate your stock!")

The makerbot platform works to a degree, but isn't flat enough to print without a raft. It's a bit debatable if a belt-type system can ever be flat enough. Tank treads with solid slats between then seem like a fairly good bet for doing it if it can be done though. Probably also need to "clamp" them down on the sides to hold them all at the same level. The slats would probably also need to be fairly narrow, so you can pull them off the bottom of the parts without having to employ excessive force.

It's likely that none of the parts of a automatic print bed, belt or not, can be printed on the reprap. They all need to be of higher temperature materials so we can still have a heated print bed.

It would be better to come up with some way of automatically *removing* the parts from the bed instead, but due to the extreme forces required to hold a part down against warping forces it seems unlikely that we'll ever be able to do that. At least not without some sort of refrigeration system or something. Maybe it could work in the wintertime with a heated chamber that's not always heated? Combine that with an automated ratcheting hammer (like a jackhammer) maybe you'd have something that worked.

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
February 03, 2011 04:11PM
HI..

I think this can be done by using a belt built into the frame, so much so I have been working on some printed parts to do so.
Once I have one of my printers works 100% I will print of the said parts and do some testing.

More later.
Auzze
June 15, 2011 03:51AM
What about a belt with a central magnetic track underlying it?
August 01, 2011 05:09PM
Scatty idea..

What about a printer on tracks on a big plate of glass - move the printer not the parts - may be the printer would go down on supports while printing then lift on tracks to move to a new spot...

...I told you it was scatty!!

CS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login