Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Designs for Mendel upgrade

Posted by Phobia1 
Designs for Mendel upgrade
February 05, 2011 02:47PM
Hi Guys an gals

I use Pro-Engineer and have tried all others so please I stay with it.
Does anyone else have a complete file for Mendel that I can ask for?

If not, IGES files will do as I can redraw them fairly easily.
Can even give a list of the files I am interested in if that makes things easier.
Best
FJW
Re: Designs for Mendel upgrade
February 05, 2011 05:45PM
The best models I know of are listed here. Unfortunately, you'll need to be able import SolidEdge or SolidWorks models to use them. That won't be much better than importing IGES or STEP, but still better than .stl. If you can't work with any of those (or don't want to), let me know. I can export IGES or STEP from the SolidWorks models.

Hopefully the resulting file will be small enough to attach to a message here. Maybe it's time I set up a Thingiverse account.

I'm working on re-modeling the Prusa Mendel in SolidWorks. Slow going right now. However, if you're going to work from .stl files, I think that is the better design to start from. There are a lot fewer parts. It's still being developed though.
February 06, 2011 04:47AM
HI
Thanks for the reply.

Could you send me one of the 6 feet as a test in IGES please?
I can then see how easy it is to recreate the geometry.

Have not tried Solid Edge and perhaps I should get a demo and have a look at it.

assetfris@vali.bg is my email

Best regards
Frederick
February 06, 2011 05:36PM
OK, Here is one of the six vertices. I also put a STEP file in the .zip. I don't anticipate a problem importing such a simple IGES, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to include the STEP file too.

I forgot: SolidWorks can export some Pro/E formats. I don't think it will include features, but it should import cleanly.

Let us know how it goes. Have fun!
Attachments:
open | download - frame-vertex_6off.zip (89.6 KB)
February 07, 2011 05:10AM
Thank you'
I can open and import all three strangely enough.
Now have to find the right way to work with them.
Thanks again
Frederick
July 07, 2011 07:21AM
Hi Dale,
I have been looking everywhere for iges or step files as well and have found none untill now. I also tried opening your files and had no problem with iges or step. I am using Inventor.
Would it be possible to get a complete set of models in step? I am wanting to build a Mendel and have made a start trying to model the parts from the photos in the wiki. I have made good progress, but am worried about missing some critical details.
If you can help you could send them to my email address which I can send in a PM.
Thanks
Tony
July 07, 2011 04:26PM
Tony,

I don't know of a complete Mendel in STEP. A few months ago I completed most of a Prusa Mendel in SolidWorks, and did export some step files, here. That is now out of date, as Josef is still actively developing and improving the design.

The most complete models of the standard "Sells" Mendel are in the link I posted in the second post of this thread. Your best bet there is the .stl files. I don't know if Inventor will import them as solids. If not, there is a free way to make step files of them described here.
July 07, 2011 06:59PM
The standard distribution file for the Sells Mendel has a step model in it as well as the STL files.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 08, 2011 07:48AM
Nophead,

I'm not seeing a link from the Mendel files wiki page to anything containing STEP files. Did I miss it, or maybe they've been deleted since you downloaded it?
July 08, 2011 08:14AM
_SOLIDEDGE README.txt:
For your assembly to work, you need to download ALL folders under mendel\mechanics\cartesian-robot\

The General Assembly file is \bot-wedge-m4\general-assembly.asm

Made in SolidEdge v20, Academic licence

Please note that these Solid Edge files are supplied because they may be helpful to some,
but we do not support them.

.\reprap-mendel-20110509\mendel\mechanics\solid-models\cartesian-robot-m4\general-assembly-in-STEP.zip

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 09, 2011 08:11PM
Ah, there it is. Not exactly obvious. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login