Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How hard is the smd soldering (DIY kit)?

Posted by JoeDaStudd 
How hard is the smd soldering (DIY kit)?
October 14, 2011 05:42AM
Hi all,

I'm at the final stages of ordering my parts and my last big decision is pre-assembled or diy RAMPS kit.

I can do through hole soldering without any trouble and I've had a little experience with surface soldering although its been purely wire to pcb, never with any of those tiny resistors.

I've got a small tipped soldering iron, solder and I've order a flux pen, some fine solder braid and some soldering tweezers (been meaning to buy them for a while now).

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being easy as pie, 10 being hell no don't even try) how hard is the smd soldering on the RAMPS board?

Many thanks,

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 05:53AM by JoeDaStudd.
Re: How hard is the smd soldering (DIY kit)?
October 14, 2011 06:11AM
Hi Just soldered a Ramps v1.4 last night. It was also my first attempt in solering smd components and I was surprised how flewless everything worked! So let's say it's a 3-4 on the scale. The most tricky part was getting the components out of their package without losing them tongue sticking out smiley. But with good tweezers this shouldn't be a big deal.
In any case I would advise you to use some sort of flux and pre tin the pads. Through the flux the tiny resistors got even sucked in the correct allignment while soldering.eye popping smiley
Don't be afraid just try it! Good luck!
October 14, 2011 09:33AM
I wanted to solder the SMB myself as well after seeing the video. I was however advised on the IRC channel not to do it since it's apparently pretty tricky and I don't have the experience. So I've paid the extra dues at xyzprinter.com to have it soldered and I have to say now I'm happy with that choice. It has delayed the order with about a week though.
October 14, 2011 10:00AM
mmm 1 for, 1 against.
To make things worse I save about €30 buy DIY'ing it, but at the same time if it goes wrong its going to cost me €30 more to buy a pre-assembled board. confused smiley
October 15, 2011 12:59AM
Hand soldering SMD parts can get pretty frustrating on your first try, and its not like you can back out of it at this point :-)

Just double check and triple check, specially those polarized parts(caps, LEDs, Diodes)

I would say 6-7 for the first few parts, then can go down to 3-4 for the rest.

I never used QFNs in the my designs just because I'm scared the heck of soldering them by hand but after my first try I felt it wasnt that bad, so now Use them as often as other packages.

Go start soldering!

Here's a helpful video on SMD soldering
[www.eevblog.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2011 01:00AM by royco.
October 21, 2011 06:11PM
That's a really useful video tutorial Royco

I watched all three and realised I'd been 'doing it wrong' my whole life.

oh well, here's to getting better!
November 08, 2011 05:55AM
Just a little update.
My kit arrived yesterday, so I started the smd soldering process.

The chips are even smaller then I expected, but after the first few I did get the hang of it.
It went 10 when I opened the kit (so so small), 7-8 for C2, 5 for LED1 back up to 7 for the other LED's (seemed to be a lot thinner then the green LED for some reason) then 3-4 for the rest. Well I stopped at R25 after nearly losing one angry smiley.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
Hey joe ever finish the ramps and did it work ?
I just got my kit today and god there soooooo small. Really why would they make this board with these
Well wish me luck going to start it this wed
George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login