Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS1.4 gerber files

Posted by bcndynamics 
RAMPS1.4 gerber files
February 22, 2012 02:57PM
How can I get the gerber files of RAMPS1.4?

I have .sch and .brd files but my provider is asking me for the "gerber file". I think I can make it by using the two files that I already have and EAGLE software. I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm having problems installing EAGLE in my computer. So.. is there any place to directly download the gerber files? smiling smiley Or any other software to generate them? (open source, please!)

thanks!

Barcelona Dynamics - [bcndynamics.com]
Re: RAMPS1.4 gerber files
March 04, 2012 03:04PM
Gerber files are a set of files, produced using you PCB Cad software (in your case Eagle).

Typically you produce one gerber file for each layer in the process, For a double sided pcb, these would typically be: copper top and bottom, silkscreen top and bottom, solder stop mask (the "green" color) top and bottom and a drill file, in all seven files.

One process layer can consist of one or more "layers" in your pcb cad software (Eagle), so its important to combine the right layers in Eagle when exporting to one of the gerber files.

If SMD's are involved, it is also common to produce a (set) of SMD Pad gerber file.

If more processes are involved in producing you particular PCB more, each process is likely to have ts own gerber file(s).

Once you have created a gerber file, it can be viewed using a gerber viewer. It is quite adviceable to use this gerber viewer process, to see if the different layers line up correctly. As some times you need to reverse the output, in order to fit the process/tool for that process.

Gerber files have several "standard" formats. Make sure you export to the right gerber format for your particular pcb production house.

Making PCBs can be a lot of fun, but my advice is to make a small test board first, using some of the cheap standard 5x5cm production runs at seeedstudio, itead studio or the like.

/MrAlvin
Re: RAMPS1.4 gerber files
March 05, 2012 02:39PM
Thank you very much for your explanation!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login