Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament is sticking to Hot End Nozzle but not to the bed. What I'm doing wrong?

Posted by Kaage 
Filament is sticking to Hot End Nozzle but not to the bed. What I'm doing wrong?
February 29, 2012 02:20AM
Filament is sticking to Hot End Nozzle but not to the bed. What I'm doing wrong? sad smiley
Re: Filament is sticking to Hot End Nozzle but not to the bed. What I'm doing wrong?
February 29, 2012 02:40AM
Are you using PLA or ABS?
What are you printing on?
How far is the end of the nozzle from the printing surface?

In short, the first layer should be printed LOW and SLOW.

LOW: Nozzle should only be a sheet of paper thickness away from the bed at Z = 0.
SLOW: If using Skeinforge set your first layer to be 50% of the normal layer speed. Perimeters should also be printed slower.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Re: Filament is sticking to Hot End Nozzle but not to the bed. What I'm doing wrong?
February 29, 2012 03:21AM
Hi and thanks for the answer.

I'm using PLA and printing on aluminium bed (not heated). For me it seems that it is printed pretty fast. Nozzle is set to low.

How do I set first layer speed and perimeter speed slower? I'm actually using Sfact but it is just like Skeinforge.
February 29, 2012 03:49AM
PLA won't stick to aluminum.
Try covering it with Blue Painters tape.
Even with PLA you will eventually need a heated bed - it also warps.

The settings are in the Skeinforge SPEED tab:

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Attachments:
open | download - SF-SPEED.png (39.8 KB)
February 29, 2012 11:51AM
After 9 months ABS printing I was switching back to PLA and altough I have a heated bed it just didn't want to stick.

Simple solution: Clean your bed with Aceton and it will stick again perfectlywinking smiley

In case this doesn't help, see Bob's post
March 08, 2012 05:54AM
Hi,

I covered bed with painters tape and now it sticks well. Thank you!

I have still another problem but I'll open new topic about that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login