Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Solved] Trouble with RAMPS 1.4 and sprinter, no negative movement

Posted by danieljabailey 
[Solved] Trouble with RAMPS 1.4 and sprinter, no negative movement
March 20, 2012 10:59AM
I have recently killed my Gen6 somehow, there was no hope for it and so I decided to replace it with RAMPS 1.4.
While trying to get the RAMPS to fit the hole left by the Gen6 I had to make a small adapter circuit as unlike the Gen6, RAMPS has no built in opto circuitry.
I have tried to get sprinter to work on it but with no luck. I am at a point where I have the X axis moving but that's it.

The X axis will move as expected with any command telling it to move in the positive direction. (like G1 X50)
Whenever I tell it to move the X axis home (G28 X0) it moves in the positive direction by about ten mm and then stops, if I give the command "G1 X-200" (expecting it to move back to the X endstop) it just stays still.

This sounds exactly like I need to invert my endstops in software, and this is what I did, it didn't help. Same problem when X_ENDSTOP_INVERT is true and when it is false.

How is this possible?
How do I fix it?

Thanks, Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 05:36AM by danieljabailey.
Re: Trouble with RAMPS 1.4 and sprinter, no negative movement
March 22, 2012 02:30PM
I use Marlin firmware, so this may not help.

What does your board return for the "M119" code to get End Stop status?
Does sprinter have a define statment for software endstops like Marlin? I know marlin will not make negative moves if the software endstops are enabled and the value is of an axis reports it is at 0.
March 23, 2012 03:05PM
M119 returns correct values for all endstops.
Disabling software endstops is no help, the problem still occurs.
March 25, 2012 04:03AM
Try inverting the logic of your endstops.
March 25, 2012 05:04AM
dansxmods, to quote my first post:
"This sounds exactly like I need to invert my endstops in software, and this is what I did, it didn't help. Same problem when X_ENDSTOP_INVERT is true and when it is false."
March 25, 2012 05:44AM
I have just tried marlin again. I have it moving on all 3 axes, however, the y axis endstop is showing as high all the time, the LED seems to indicate the status properly even though it is still on when the endstop isn't hit. (the Y endstop LED is very dim when the endstop isn't hit and bright when it is, the X and Z are working fine.) M119 returns correct results so it is unlikely that there is a problem with it.

So now I have the same problem with which I started the thread but on the Y, not the X.
March 26, 2012 05:35AM
Just finished fitting a new mechanical endstop, everything's fine now.
Re: [Solved] Trouble with RAMPS 1.4 and sprinter, no negative movement
March 28, 2012 06:16AM
Sorry about that I somehow missed that in your first post, I am also having probs with my opto endstops now and have just ordered some mechanical ones.
October 08, 2012 11:04AM
danieljabailey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have just tried marlin again. I have it moving
> on all 3 axes, however, the y axis endstop is
> showing as high all the time, the LED seems to
> indicate the status properly even though it is
> still on when the endstop isn't hit. (the Y
> endstop LED is very dim when the endstop isn't hit
> and bright when it is, the X and Z are working
> fine.) M119 returns correct results so it is
> unlikely that there is a problem with it.
>
> So now I have the same problem with which I
> started the thread but on the Y, not the X.

I'm getting the same situation.
As i'm uploading my firmware (ErikZalm-Marlin-v1.0.0.RC2-0-g27f595a) the x endstop LED works correctly however once firmware is loaded the LED for the x axis endstop does not go off.

why would the x axis be any different in software, making me think it is a hardware fault.
Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 11:07AM by Gibbedy.
October 08, 2012 05:38PM
Sounds like Marlin configures the endstop to be an output or enables the pullup-resistors or something like that. The difference between the X and Y endstop is the ATmega pin, one of which can be misconfigured.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 09, 2012 04:02AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like Marlin configures the endstop to be an
> output or enables the pullup-resistors or
> something like that. The difference between the X
> and Y endstop is the ATmega pin, one of which can
> be misconfigured.

I'm hoping its not a hardware fault with the i/o. I'm having trouble getting sprinter or marlin working in any capacity with pronterface or replicator. This is my first reprap. Using ramps 1.4 ATmega 1280. I believe firmware was loaded correctly using arduino software. Pronterface connects but instantly says something about killing() and I can't move any motors. Away from computer at the moment and can't remember the exact issue. It did say the head was over maximum temperature.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login