Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can the hotend heat up too fast?

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Can the hotend heat up too fast?
December 28, 2013 02:58PM
Hi, I couldn't find so much about this subject, however, here is the story:

Heated bed, takes about 5 min to heat up to 60º. This is ok and normal I think.

Hotend heats up in under a minute to 190º. This is of course great, but I am not used to this, and I am wondering, can it put more wear on my electronics when it heats up this fast? Is there a way of slowing it down if needed?

I hope someone has some more info for me on 'too fast heating'. Because it feels wrong, but yet I'm very happy it heats up this fast.
- Marinus
Re: Can the hotend heat up too fast?
December 28, 2013 06:16PM
It's normal for the hot end to heat up MUCH faster than the bed. Don't sweat it too much. I usually turn my heaters on manually before I start the print, so it's not unusual for them to be on for a few minutes before I actually start the print.
December 28, 2013 08:27PM
If you want to slow the hot end down, you can adjust the max PWM in Marlin. Rather than worrying about how fast it heats up, far better to look at how stable it is once its at temperature. That's a much more critical issue.
December 29, 2013 05:08AM
Alright, in the beginning it overshoots by about 10º, but then it cools down to the correct temperature and stays there smiling smiley

It's pretty stable, more stable than any other hotend I've used before (and I've had four different ones in total on my other machine!)
Sometimes -1º and sometimes +1º, but doesn't happen much that it goes beyond that difference.

Thanks for reassuring me.
December 29, 2013 12:51PM
As long as it's stable it's not broke. Don't fix what's not broke ....smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login