Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Activating PSU kills serial connection??!

Posted by MarkR 
Activating PSU kills serial connection??!
December 22, 2013 06:42PM
Dear RAMPS gurus,
I've got my Prusa i3 set up with RAMPS 1.4, test firmware works Ok all the motors and heaters are fine. But when I connect to Pronterface or Repetier host it only connects when the PSU is switched off.
I can connect, read from the SD and even start a print, but as soon as I fire up the PSU the connection to my laptop dies. Same thing happens in the Arduino IDE, any ideas why this could be before I splash out on another Arduino and RAMPS board?
MarkR
Re: Activating PSU kills serial connection??!
December 24, 2013 03:42PM
Do you have the D2 (I think) diode installed? It's the one under one of the steeper drivers. It feeds oped from the psu through the arduino voltage regulator. If you do, you could try removing it.

Before you do though you could try and check if the 5v pins on the ramps have 5v not something else. If it's not 5v it will likely confuse the laptop usb forcing it to shutdown.
December 26, 2013 03:03PM
You probably have a ground loop issue between your power supply and your computer. Check the ground voltages with a DVM.
December 29, 2013 08:53PM
Thanks for the feedback! I inspected the arduino and there's a little chip next to the USB port that looked fried. Replaced the board and now it all works fine!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login