Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 with merlin firmware, z axis homes right with inverted up and down

Posted by sirged 
Ramps 1.4 with merlin firmware, z axis homes right with inverted up and down
September 17, 2015 10:58AM
I've been banging my head against this for 2 weeks now and cannot seem to find any a good way to fix this. I have searched all over and seem to find nothing.

What happens is the following.
1. Send my firware from the arduino studio below is part of my configuration.h
2. Run x and y home - both home and move properly.
3. Home Z. Z will home up, then up is down and down is up.
4. /sigh okay, flip "#define Z_HOME_DIR -1" from -1 to 1 and reverse the wire on the ramps board.
5. Home x and y fine
6 home z, z homes but only studders and moves less than 1 full rotation and stops.
7. Okay time to test, send a closed from my end stop where it is.
8. Up goes down and down goes up again....

I'm completely at a loss as to what to do. Any advice would help me a ton, if I'm not reversing my home direction properly let me know.
My printer is similar to an ultimaker where my x and y move my heads and the z is controlled just by the bed (bed moves down)

Thank you in advance,

Sir Ged

#define INVERT_X_DIR true     // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true    // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true     // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR true   // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR true   // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E2_DIR false   // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false
#define INVERT_E3_DIR false   // for direct drive extruder v9 set to true, for geared extruder set to false

// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

#define min_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops true  // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

// Travel limits after homing (units are in mm)
#define X_MAX_POS 400
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MAX_POS 310
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MAX_POS 300
#define Z_MIN_POS 0

#define X_MAX_LENGTH (X_MAX_POS - X_MIN_POS)
#define Y_MAX_LENGTH (Y_MAX_POS - Y_MIN_POS)
#define Z_MAX_LENGTH (Z_MAX_POS - Z_MIN_POS)
Re: Ramps 1.4 with merlin firmware, z axis homes right with inverted up and down
September 17, 2015 04:10PM
You dont want to both change firmware direction AND swap wires. Change wires back.
Reason motors stutters now is propably because the two coils are working opposite each other now. That or you have set wrong microstepping, if you have changed that as sell?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 04:11PM by dintid.
Re: Ramps 1.4 with merlin firmware, z axis homes right with inverted up and down
September 17, 2015 08:47PM
The reason I was swapping the wire so that it would home in the opposite direction then it would go up and down correctly. Was that false logic? Swapping the -1 to a 1 should only swap the home direction (moving it from up to down) Then swapping the wire should right the home direction and my up and down commands should be right.
When I get this all setup again it then reverts to home in the right direction z+ goes z- and z- goes z+.

Also studders was a poor choice of words. When I hit home after swapping to a 1 it would home just about 10 rotations then stop, hit home again it would move the same direction again then stop about 10 revolutions again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 08:51PM by sirged.
September 18, 2015 07:47AM
Do 1 thing at a time:
1: Make sure you can move the Axis correctly - if it does not, either correct the wires or invert axis in firmware. - When 1 is in place, move to 2:
2: Define which way the Axis needs to go when homing by using either X_HOME_DIR -1 or 1

Edit: changing multiple configurations options at a time when setting up these tings, will just screw with your head smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 07:57AM by dintid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login