Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Errors compiling default .pde files- trying to set up Ramps 1.4- SOLVED

Posted by a_shorething 
Errors compiling default .pde files- trying to set up Ramps 1.4- SOLVED
August 05, 2012 09:41AM
Hey all,

I'm so close!!!

I got my Ramps 1.4 wired up and I'm ready to try testing it but I'm getting errors when I try to compile just the generic default versions of the two .pde files I got to upload to the Arduino Mega board with the Ramps shield.

Detail:
I've installed the Arduino software (and have tested it in the past with a few sketches on an 'uno' board to get the hang of how it works).
I powered up and connected the Mega board w/Ramps shield and set up the driver so the Arduino is set up for the board and the correct serial port (COM25).

I've installed Python and have been able to open Python programs like Skeinforge, so that's on there.

Then I was trying to figure out how to set up the board with sketches or whatever and I found downloads for Marlin (ErikZalm-Marlin-538189c) and sprinter (kliment-Sprinter-1db03fa).

When I open up Sprinter.pde or Marlen.pde in the Arduino interface and click the check mark to compile it I get errors. With Marlin I only get a couple (in the marlinserial.h):

c:/arduino/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function `__vector_default':
(.vectors+0xb0): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol `__vector_44' defined in .text section in c:/arduino/arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o

In sprinter.pde there are lots of them, mostly looking like they're related to the SD card function (which I don't have).

So can anyone point me to a setup that will compile correctly or possibly help me to get these working so I can get to the point of uploading and being able to send commands to my Arduino/RAMPS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 04:34PM by a_shorething.
Re: Errors compiling default .pde files- trying to set up Ramps 1.4- long post
August 05, 2012 12:47PM
Make sure you change to the correct chip in the Arduino (Tools -> Board)
August 05, 2012 01:11PM
Thanks. I have it set for Mega 2560 or Mega ADK.

I think the board that the RAMPS kit comes with is the 2560.
August 05, 2012 02:11PM
Did you download the 0.27 or 1.0 versions of the arduino IDE? Most firmware will not compile with the 1.0 version.
August 05, 2012 02:46PM
Oh, really?

I wasn't aware of that. I have 1.01 of the Arduino software.

I'll try the downlevel version. Thanks!

EDIT: I Just checked and I can't find 0027 on the Arduino site, only up to 0023 and then 1.01. Any idea where I can get 0027?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 03:10PM by a_shorething.
August 05, 2012 03:58PM
It might be 0.23 you need, I don't have a machine with it installed handy to check. The 0.27 was from memory, so it's likely wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2012 03:59PM by Polygonhell.
August 05, 2012 03:58PM
There is no version 27, go with 23.
August 05, 2012 04:12PM
Thanks, I'll try 23. The website for Arduino says that's one of the 'no longer supported IDEs', but I guess that doesn't matter?

If that's the most recent version prior to 1.01 and it should compile, that's good enough for me.

Thanks, I'll post again shortly.
August 05, 2012 04:23PM
SWEET! I just compiled sprinter.pde without errors using version 23.

Looks like I'll have to have two different versions and switch back and forth until a future version of Arduino can handle the Ramps shield for the Mega.

Thanks for your help!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login