Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good quality, cheap and VERY strong PSU

Posted by Skunky 
Good quality, cheap and VERY strong PSU
March 09, 2013 02:23PM
Hello.

I've been one of those who jumpt on the PC PSU bandwagon, and i must say that was utterly crap. not only did i pay around 60$, it was a 500w PSU that should have been able to handle the load easy.

Well it was very bad, if i have to be honest. Bought 3 2in1 12v car bulbs and attached them all to the 5v line to create load (without load it would shut of when turning on the heatbed) and i still just merely got over 12v.

So i thought "what kind of powersupply is made for big loads and running 12v?" well ofcourse Server psu's !

after some search i found this one: [www.pacificgeek.com] - It's a 1200W IBM blade server redundant PSU. Theese babyes have a massive 98A load capacity, and the more load, the more voltage ! - mine goes from 12,4 in idle, to 12,44 when the printer is running.

P.s. the picture on theyr site is only a picture for the picture sake, it is NOT a picture of the actual PSU.

So I've ordered this one, and thought the 2xPSU meant 2 PSU's in one encasing... well it was 2 physical PSU's with BOTH 1200W capacity !

They where extremely cheap (you can easily find them for less then 40-50$), so i thought it was a very good deal !

Now after figuring out which pins to short, for it to turn on, i faced another problem. after 1-2 minutes it would turn of, without even having load.

"Back of the PSU. Yellow wire = turn on wire"

Thought maybe some sort of fail safe in case no load is there, so i tried with load, same error. tried the other PSU, same thing happened. Mate of mine said it might be because of the lack of cooling. At first i was skeptic, since it would only get a bit warm before turning off, but trying out his theory showed he was right. Just a normal 60x60 fan on one site of the PSU, and all problems disappeared. It was suddenly ROCK stable !

In the end i ended up with 2 PSU's both capable of handling nearly 100A, both cheaper then any other PSU i could find with just half the capacity and i got two for the silly price of 40$ (wich would then be just 20$ / piece)

And they can be set in series, to create a 100a 24v PSU. But BEWARE ! they have ground etched to the casing (checked with voltmeter myself), so they MUST be isolated / have ground connection removed from the encasing. touching both, while they are connected in series may electrocute you (at least that is what I've read)

Hope this helps someone. I will certainly keep using these PSU's in my future 3D printer builds ! smiling smiley
Re: Good quality, cheap and VERY strong PSU
March 12, 2013 07:06AM
interesting.

my only concern would be fire.
March 13, 2013 05:17AM
lazzymonk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> interesting.
>
> my only concern would be fire.

Even without cooling, they don't become warmer then that you can touch them.

And should your cooling fail, while printing, the PSU will just shut of after 2 mins. Happened to me because the fan fell over.
March 13, 2013 06:54AM
its more the availablity of 100 amps of current. Does it have short circuit protection? Dont get me wrong, really like the idea, and im thinking of getting one my self (found one on ebay uk for £30).

could you post a pinout?
March 13, 2013 12:56PM
u guys should check out this site call hardwaresecrets, check out their PSU tests. thats where u should get real review on PSU.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login