Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layer Shifting

Posted by mattrob 
Layer Shifting
August 29, 2013 03:17PM
Good Afternoon!

I built a Mendel90 from a kit from Nophead, and it is using Melzi electronics. I am using Slic3r to generate gcode files and using Pronterface to operate my printer.

What I am noticing is that occasionally the printer offsets one axis slightly during a layer change. (Picture of this issue is attached) This has occurred on multiple design files, and operating Pronterface on multiple computers has resulted in the same problem. It seems fairly random, but the offset always occurs on a layer change.

Have anyone else seen this type of thing before? I suspect it to be on the data side of the electronics and not mechanical, but I can't be sure.

Thanks!
Matt
Attachments:
open | download - 20130829_132921r.jpg (264.8 KB)
Re: Layer Shifting
August 30, 2013 05:17AM
Not sure why you are posting in the RAMPS section when you have a Melzi.

If the shift is a multiple of 2.5mm it is skipping a belt tooth due to the belt not being tight enough. If it is a multiple of 0.8mm then the motor is skipping steps, in which case reduce the acceleration.

Is it one axis or both?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 30, 2013 11:08AM
Hi Nophead,

I was looking the printer over last night and noticed another problem, which may have been related. The Y-axis idler had worked its way loose and was moving side to side, which was causing a shift as the y-axis moved back and forth. We'll see if the layer shift issue crops up again, but I suspect that fixed it.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry about the post in the wrong category, I guess I missed the other options. Is there a specific subforum for Melzi, or does it fall under Sanguinololu?
August 30, 2013 11:14AM
There doesn't seem to be a Melzi sub forum, but there is a Mendel90 sub forum.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login