Posted by jeremytapl 
need some help with printer
January 25, 2014 08:16PM
ok here is the basics:

sumpod basic printer
ramps 1.4
sprinter firmware
ponterface

the problem is that the z axis only moves down, and the x and y axis do not move at all, they do however make some noise when commanded to move, but only in one direction. I am new to this printer thing but have been in the cnc field for 8 years. any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jeremy
Re: need some help with printer
January 25, 2014 11:19PM
Things to check are the
v ref on the drivers
Feedrate in the firmware
End stops are fuctioning properly
Motors are wired correctly.
Power supply is working correctly

The z sounds like endstops, the x and y could one or more of the above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2014 11:21PM by cat.farmer.
January 26, 2014 12:28AM
I'm thinking that its the endstops. I got all the axis to move and calibrated them to move the correct amount but the printer ddoesn't seem to care about the endstops. So I played round with them on the ramps board and now it won't move again.
January 26, 2014 12:36AM
What sort of end stops, how have you got them hooked up, and how is it configured in the firmware?
January 26, 2014 12:40AM
Did you disable the endstops in the firmware to make it work?
January 26, 2014 09:44AM
They are mechanical endstops. The wires are hooked up to the two outside connections. And on the ramps board they are hooked to the right places I think, its a generic board so there isn't any writing on it. Ill attach a picture in a little bit.
January 26, 2014 10:39AM
I'm not a splinter user, but try the m119 command in pronterface to check the status of the end stops. Run m119 and then press the switch and see if the status changes. Thety should read triggered when pressed.
January 26, 2014 11:45AM
Ok I will try that and report back! Thanks for all the help so far!
January 26, 2014 02:38PM
ok so I typed in m119 and it sent back:
SENDING:M119
x_min:H y_min:H z_min:H

and when i press the endstops they do change. so is my firmware wrong?

this is how it is set:

const bool X_ENDSTOP_INVERT = true;
const bool Y_ENDSTOP_INVERT = true;
const bool Z_ENDSTOP_INVERT = true;
January 26, 2014 03:58PM
Yep change the TRUE to FALSE. The should read as low (L) until they are pressed. I think most switches in repraps are wired to the normally closed and sets the firmware HIGH when tripped. At least that is what i read while designing and building mine..I could be wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 04:03PM by cat.farmer.
January 26, 2014 04:14PM
Ok I tried that and now everything is moving again. But now when it tries to home the machine before a print it doesn't stop at the switches. It tries to go past them. Should I switch firmwares to marlin? Or is sprinter good enough?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 04:15PM by jeremytapl.
January 27, 2014 01:46AM
swapping firmware like this is like changing you car engine because you ran out of petrol.. over reaction.
Both work fine, and will have the same configuration issues

with m119, check you actually have X on the x axis etc (its really easy to get them on the wrong pins)

Ie trigger just the X endstop. Does X change with a m119
and repeat for all x,y, and z

Next check the location of your endstops. Most printers are setup as minimum endstops
It looks like your printer the nozzle moves in X and Y, and the build platform move for Z so for your printer that should be head front, left and bed up.
You will have to confirm if this is correct (I dont have access to a sumpod)

With minimum endstops check direction of movement. -ve should move towards the endstops
so -ve X move left, +ve X move right, -ve on Y moves the head forward +ve moves the head back. -ve on the Z moves your bed up and +ve moves your bed down.
January 28, 2014 11:36PM
ok here is an update. the printer is moving and all axis homes. BUT I have the z axis limit switch on the bottom of the table, so when it homes it goes down and stops like it should but it thinks its at Z0.0 but its at Z140.0. is there a way to tell the firmware that its not at zero but at 140? or should i just move the switch up to the hot end? other than that it seems to be doing ok.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2014 12:12AM by jeremytapl.
January 30, 2014 01:05AM
so I think I have some of this figured out. the printer will home itself just fine now. and everything is moving like it should. I tried to run a 1 x 1 x 1 cube and it starts to print then just stops after a couple seconds. the red light is on on the ramps board. and ideas? still using sprinter firmware but switched to repetier-host software. seems to work fine in ponterface though.

Jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 01:11AM by jeremytapl.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login