Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermocouple shows 500°C

Posted by Yellobello 
Thermocouple shows 500°C
June 26, 2014 05:28AM
Hi!

I bought a reprap world thermocouple K type from E3D for my shiny new e3D hotend and hooked it up to my ramps board.

Unfortunately the temperature shown is 500°C, sometimes 499°C.

I think that I connected everything proper, the thermocouple V1.0 Board gets its 5V and GND, the analog pin I used is Pin 3 , as shown here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/ExtThermoCouple_1.0

Marlin-Wise i changed the following in configuration.h:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 -1

The problem MIGHT be on pins.h where I did not know where to put pin 3, since I found two places within the RAMPS section where
#define TEMP_0_PIN   3

is set...

#1: Could someone please tell me on which line in the current pins.h I should set #define TEMP_0_PIN ?
#2: Is it really pin 3 that is shown in the picture on the wiki link above? I heared that some ramps pins are not correctly numbered
#3: any other suggestions why this could happen?

Ah, the 500°C also get reported when I disconnect the thermocouple and the thermocouple board, so it seems to be a configuration fault.

Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 05:29AM by Yellobello.
Re: Thermocouple shows 500°C
June 27, 2014 05:01AM
OK, I found out that it really is just the pins.h problem.

My opinion is that pins.h is VERY confusing because of the many un-sorted ifdefs that are stacked and not very well organized.

Since I just replaced EVERY #define TEMP_0_PIN X with #define TEMP_0_PIN 3 in the whole file and after that, it worked
it could only be this issue. However I still have not found which #define TEMP_0_PIN it really is.

I think, it would be better if marlin would a) have separate pins files for each board or b) have devinitive passages in pins.h for every board and every subtype of board, not stacked and chaotic as it currently is. Since there are some RAMPS versions, some ifdefs are for the whole ramps board class, and some ifdefs are for the subtypes, some just go for the Arduino Mega, and everything is thrown together somehow.
It's easy to change some pins since they occur only once in a board segment of the file, but for some pin defs they occur a couple of times and I have problems finding which one is appropriate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 05:02AM by Yellobello.
Re: Thermocouple shows 500°C
December 31, 2014 08:31PM
Thank you! I had this issue, and this post helped!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login