Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broken X-axis?

Posted by khannon3 
Broken X-axis?
September 15, 2014 05:17PM
Hi guys,

I've just began to get my i3 Ramps 1.4 up and running. After running some test all the motors are working except for the X-axis. I have been trouble shooting it and have a working motor and stepper driver. Any ideas what is wrong. I have read that similar problems are caused by fried pins. If this is the case could someone tell me how to change my set up so that the X-axis uses the E0 terminal.

Thanks,
Kev
Re: Broken X-axis?
September 16, 2014 03:42AM
The most problems of not moving a motor are caused by a wrong setup of the endstops and the moving direction of the axis.
Check this first.
September 16, 2014 05:36AM
Cheapo stepper drivers often have failures. You can test them by exchanging them with a working axis. And always cut power before removing a motor connector or stepper driver.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 16, 2014 11:05AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I have swapped the stepper drivers and end stops for ones from a working axis. I have also tested the X-motor with other axis and it is working. What should I do next?

With thanks,
Kev
September 16, 2014 02:59PM
So i think I have narrowed it down to being the x-end stop pins that are causing the trouble. Would anyone know how I can change the X-pins to another unused end stop position.

Always very grateful that RepRaps have such a helpful community.
Thanks,
Kev
September 16, 2014 04:58PM
You can also use the max endstop, put it on the righthand side of your x-axis, and reconfig your marlin for this.
September 17, 2014 09:16AM
Thanks gforce1

That's what i was hoping to do but I am an absolute novice at with marlin and have been struggling in researching how to do this. Any chance someone could send me the code needed or point me towards the necessary info.

With thanks,
Kevin
September 17, 2014 09:43PM
Try typing M119 in pronterface and that should tell you if you endstops are triggered or not. If you are not touching your x-endstops and it tells you it is triggered then your logic may be incorrect. Another quick test is whichever endstop said triggered, push and hold the switch with your finger and type M119 again. If it now says open then your logic is defiantly inverted and can be fixed by changing the corresponding logic, as seen below from the configuration.h file, from false to true or true to false, depending on the setting you find.

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

If when you push the switch manually and it still says triggered then you have either a switch or wiring issue.

Hope this helps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login